Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Good Eatin' in Eastern MA???

Good Eatin' in Eastern MA???

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue May 22, 2007 8:12 am
C-pher rare
rare

Ok, so who here knows of some good BBQ in MA?

I've been to Firefly's... And who doesn't love an all you can eat BBQ Buffet on Sundays? And it's pretty good to boot.

We also have Tennessee's... The one in Braintree isn't bad, the one in Milford isn't..

There's a place called Cherrywood's, It's supposed to be pretty good, but never ate there..

And then there's another place in Bridgewater, Chili Heads. Been meaning to get there, but haven't.

Memphis Rodehouse in Attleboro wasn't impressive when I was there. But I've been told that it's under new Manegement, and it's a lot better. But I can't tell you if that's true.

There's just not much in the way of BBQ up here. unless i just don't know where it is.

I just hope that I don't know where it is...

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:39 pm
Bydgzis raw
raw

My fiance grew up in Brookline and a few years ago she took me to The Village Smokehouse. Now I've not been to true rib country, being a native Vermonter, but these ribs are what I use to measure all others by. Every time we have reason to go back to Boston, we make sure we stop there.

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:46 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Bydgzis! :D

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:41 pm
TX Sandman well done
well done

Welcome aboard, Bydgzis!

Rob - TX Sandman

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:18 pm
baker well done
well done

Blue Ribbon BBQ, either in Arlington or West Newton. Village Smokehouse doesn't hold a candle to 'em. These people are consistently good. Highly recommended.

Lester's. Somewhere on 3, or 3A. Helped out at start by Blue Ribbon, but nowhere as good. Yet. Kitschy decor. They have potential though,

Jakes, Moody Street Waltham. Don't do it. Just my opinion, but please, don't. Never had a good meal there, and been there for more than enough tries. Enough said.

Firefly's. Was there this past Saturday in Framingham. Ribs were OK, brisket slices were inedible.

So. Blue Ribbon? Meet me there. I'll buy.

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:38 pm
baker well done
well done

Whoops. Shame on me.

Try http://www.pigtrip.net/ for New England joints. I can't say I agree with him on all his reviews, but he does have quite the list. And I'm sure quite the cholesterol level.

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:16 am
Bydgzis raw
raw

Blue Ribbon, eh? I will definitely have to visit them next time we're "down country".

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:01 am
baker well done
well done

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Redbones in Davis Square in Somerville.
I rank their Ribs right up there to the ones I had in Texas..
Better off eating in though not catering or ordering out. Your guranteed hot and fresh food.
Friends will bail you out of Jail. Real friends sit next to you and laugh.

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:51 pm
SRH_21 medium
medium

Hi C-pher,

It has been a while since I have checked out this board. People have mentioned most of the places that I have been to in the area. I just wanted to for warn you of the Bone Yard in Seekonk. I ate there a few months ago with my family. We found the food not to be that great. My son loves corn bread and he would not even touch it. You may want to try Outlaw BBQ on rt 1, in Foxboro. I have not eaten there in a few years, but, if I remember correctly, it was pretty good.

Regards,

SRH
Chargriller
22.5" Weber Kettle

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:49 pm

Bub's in Sunderland is the best I have had in Mass, hands down. He's been there for about 25 years and is the real deal.

I like Blue Ribbon. The one in Newton is fantastic. The one in Framingham, not quite as good.
BBQ in New England? You mean it's more than just dogs and burgers?

CG Smokin Pro w/SFB
Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Gas

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:07 pm
baker well done
well done

SmokinInMass wrote:
Bub's in Sunderland is the best I have had in Mass, hands down. He's been there for about 25 years and is the real deal.

I like Blue Ribbon. The one in Newton is fantastic. The one in Framingham, not quite as good.

Blue Ribbon has storefronts in West Newton Ma and Arlington MA, nothing in Framingham.

You may be thinking about Firefly's? They've got storefronts in Marlborough, Framingham and Quincy. Or maybe Tennessee's BBQ in Framingham?

My experiences? Firefly's is good, but not consistently, whether it be the food or service. Tennessee's is good food wise. Blue Ribbon is consistently very good.

All three restaurants are very different though. Firefly's is full service, and an atmosphere not unlike an Outback, or (gasp) not far from a Bugaboo Creek. Tennessee's in Framingham is in a strip mall, and is more like a fast food operation (at least the last time i was there, it's been a while). Both of the Blue Ribbon's are more like a "joint"....kinda funky.

Try out Lester's in Burlington, I think it's on Rt 3A. Not too bad overall, for an old McDonalds building.

Bub's? Good, but too saucy for me. But I like my ribs dry, and a vinegar based sauce on my pulled.

http://www.lestersbbq.com/
http://www.blueribbonbbq.com/
http://www.tennbbq.com/
http://www.fireflysbbq.com/Home.htm (caution: music on the home page)
I've got a mess of U15s and I'm not afraid to bring them into the conversation!

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:29 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board SmokinInMass! :D

Post Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:22 am

Thanks, Baker. You're right. It was definitely Tennessee's in Framingham. I've only been to the one Blue Ribbon and it was excellent.

It has been years since I've been to Bub's and did not remember all the detaiils. I remember it being a true 'joint' with no pretension and food that made me think of it for days. I also prefer the vinegar-based bbq and that is how I cook at home but I travel a bit down south so I get a lot of sampling of both and I won't push the saucy stuff away if that's what I'm offered.

I was in Nashville, NC 2 weeks ago and had incredible bbq. 2 weeks before that found me in Macon, GA in a place called Finchers' and the bbq was different and just as tasty.
BBQ in New England? You mean it's more than just dogs and burgers?

CG Smokin Pro w/SFB
Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Gas

Return to Best BBQ Joint