Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mixing woods?

Mixing woods?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:46 pm
BiggieQ medium-rare
medium-rare

Is it ok to mix smoking woods? I was thinking of mixing hickory with a little bit of apple for some ribs. Good idea or no?

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:52 pm
Triple Threat well done
well done

I'm relatively new to smoking so I'm still working on the basics. But.... they say mixing is great. And based on my experience of using apple and hickory separately, I think they'd be primo for mixing!

This evening I plan on just doing a slab of baby backs on the Performer and I'm going to try mixing some maple chips and cherry chips. Just yesterday I stocked up on chips at Menards; got one bag of each; apple, cherry, maple, mesquite, and hickory. The mesquite and hickory were on sale for $1.49 for a 2lb bag.
Weber Performer
Weber Q200
Chargriller SmokinPro

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:25 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I blend woods all the time. One of my all-time favorites is apple-pecan. 8) Don't be afraid to experiment.

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:21 pm
Woodbutcher68 well done
well done

When I used to smoke a lot of fish, I used a blend of Alder and Hickory. I didn't care for the strong Hickory flavor and the Alder toned it down.
Now I use blends of Hickory, Oak and Maple on meats I smoke. Ratios depend on what sounds good that day.
Perfect Flame 5 Burner
CG SuperPro w/SFB and RiboLator

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:16 pm
chrish well done
well done

Its a great idea and i do it all the time, the arm roast i smoked i used hickory and peach.
My photobucket Q-view album, 167 pic's

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z315 ... 83/Q-view/

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:18 am
Attrill well done
well done

As others have said, there is nothing wrong with mixing woods. Apple and hickory should be really good for ribs. My favorite for ribs is apple and cherry.

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:19 am
jdiaz78 rare
rare

One log of cherry and couple chunks of hickory for me.
John
The Good-One 30-24 and Patio 30

Return to General Discussion