Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Eye of round roast.....

Eye of round roast.....

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:12 pm

I want to smoke an 8 pound eye of round roast and since I have never done this type smoke I thought I would ask for advice. So how would ya'll smoke it, I would more then likey try smokeing it the same way as a boston butt.

BTW I was at wal-mart last night and could not help myself I bought 60 pounds of boston butt @ $1.13 per pound and the fore mentioned round roast for $2.25 a pound

Jessie
3 Char-Griller Smokin Pros with SFBs
2 Of the CGs afterburner equipt

Post Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:10 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

There've been some pretty useful discussions in the past about this cut. If you use the search function with "eye round" (no quotes) as your search term and "all words" as your method you'll find them. General consensus is that it's better off grilled rare and sliced thin, but if you want to try smoking it you'll need a bacon wrap and possibly a marinade or injection to keep it from drying out. Hmmm...maybe make a nice clarified garlic butter and inject with that?

Brad

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:30 am
C. Piper well done
well done

Jess do you have the ezque rotis? If you have the cradle rotis you might think of using the afterburner and rotis the roast. I did a bottom round (fairly lean) and it came out juicy and succulent. Just a thought.
Clay
CharGriller Super Pro W/SFB

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:06 am
VernHalen medium-rare
medium-rare

Hi Jessie,

I asked the same questions you did - here's the thread:

http://barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=12366&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Hope this helps...
Modded CG Smokin' Pro w SFB & Afterburner
Rebuilt 3X Fiesta Stampede gasser

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:34 am

Thanks for the replies I did inject and I am marinating it in A1 sauce we shall see how it comes out. I also am going to wrap it in bacon.

Jessie
3 Char-Griller Smokin Pros with SFBs
2 Of the CGs afterburner equipt

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:41 pm
fazdevils raw
raw

I did a 3.5lb top round this weekend and it was awesome! I'm not sure if it's the same cut as eye of the round, but I came across this post when I was looking for technique on how to do it. I thought I'd post what I did here as a reference.

The roast I had had a thin layer of fat on one side. I cut slits in the roast and filled the slits with garlic as well as fresh rosemary and thyme. I seasoned the roast with some Montreal steak seasoning and let it marinate over night in some red wine (Zinfandel).

I had the smoker at 250 and placed the roast on fat side up. I added some soaked cherry chunks every once in a while (about 45 minutes). It was done after about 3 hours.

The roast was very tender, juicy, and full of flavor. I'm looking forward to doing this again. The wine was obviously a great match to drink with this.

While that went well. I have a question about smoking whole chickens...
I've tried this a few times and have been disappointed with the flavor. Not that it was bad, but it tasted too much like a plain roasted chicken. The first time I rubbed the outside with some seasoning I bought. The second time I marinated the chicken. I \pulled back the skin a little and put the marinade between the skin and the meat. Both times I used one of these "beer can" assessory set ups with some liquid (beer once and the marinade the other). Any tips for getting more flavor into the meat??

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:57 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board fazdevils! :D

That roast sounds divine.

There are several ways to get flavor into the meat of a chicken; brining, injecting, marinating and working some rub under the skin & inside the cavity will get you some flavor before it's cooked. Allowing it to sit with the spices applied will increase the absorbion. Most of the time 4 hours is enough, sometimes 12 is better (if there is little or no acid). The type of wood used for smoking will add flavor to the meat, some folks like a light flavor of fruitwood while others enjoy a bolder flavor like mesquite. Mopping, basting, or spraying during cooking also adds a layer of flavor. And finally glazes and sauces can be applied just before the meat is done (but this is usually reserved for pieces not BCC). You can combine a couple of techniques if you like but don't over do it as chicken is a light flavored meat.

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:03 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

Be careful with the A-1 because it has sugars in it and may burn quickly.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Return to General Discussion