Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Charcoal Basket Mod ? Edit: Now with pics!

Charcoal Basket Mod ? Edit: Now with pics!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
cub4life78 medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 53
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Hello again, I got the materials to build my charcoal basket (24x24 extended sheet metal, nuts,bolts,washers) and I have a question. Since I plan on doing the no-weld method (no welder) how to I attach the nuts washers and bolts to make the box? I found some of that iron bracket with holes in it but nobody could tell me whether it was stainless or galvanized or coated in zinc so I just didn't get it. Do I go back and grab some or is there an easy way to attach the sides and such? I don't have any wire available at the moment so if that is my only option and the angled brackets are safe then I'll just go get that instead. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just finished making the basket. It ain't pretty but it'll be functional me thinks :lol:

Image
Image
Image
Last edited by cub4life78 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:34 pm
BillyQ medium-well
medium-well

Posts: 200
Location: El Paso, Texas
If you havenot gotten the hardware for it, I have a suggestion. I have the same basket as you, and all I used to keep it together was some rebar ties that i picked up at Lowes. I just threaded them through and twisted them . I onlu used two per corner. I've used the basket many times, and they have held up well. And if they don't you get like 100 of them for like four bucks. Hope this helps.

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:42 pm
cub4life78 medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 53
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Well I went back to Lowe's and did some digging myself (since none of the associates knew what I was looking for apparently :roll: ) and found those angles brackets (stainless steel) so all is good. One question though, when drilling the holes in the sfb for the rods to hold up the basket, where exactly should I drill the holes? Thanks!!!!
Image

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:45 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Posts: 877
Location: South Jersey

cub4life78 wrote:
Well I went back to Lowe's and did some digging myself (since none of the associates knew what I was looking for apparently :roll: ) and found those angles brackets (stainless steel) so all is good. One question though, when drilling the holes in the sfb for the rods to hold up the basket, where exactly should I drill the holes? Thanks!!!!


I didn't drill any holes for rods. I just bought a 30" or so length of 1" steel angle iron cut to about 12 1/2 to 13" in length. The two angle iron pieces sits in the SFB right on the curvature of the SFB. I then sit my charcoal basket on the angle iron. I'm able to remove the charcoal drawer if needed without bothering the charcoal basket. The nut, bolts and washers I used to secure was simple. I fished the bolt through the expanded metal. Just get the bolt, place a washer onto the bolt, large enough so it doesn't slip through the expanded metal. Fish the bolt through the metal, place another washer on the other end and then secure it with the nut.
ImageImage

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:52 pm
cub4life78 medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 53
Location: Topeka, Kansas
jazzspot wrote:
cub4life78 wrote:
Well I went back to Lowe's and did some digging myself (since none of the associates knew what I was looking for apparently :roll: ) and found those angles brackets (stainless steel) so all is good. One question though, when drilling the holes in the sfb for the rods to hold up the basket, where exactly should I drill the holes? Thanks!!!!


I didn't drill any holes for rods. I just bought a 30" or so length of 1" steel angle iron cut to about 12 1/2 to 13" in length. The two angle iron pieces sits in the SFB right on the curvature of the SFB. I then sit my charcoal basket on the angle iron. I'm able to remove the charcoal drawer if needed without bothering the charcoal basket. The nut, bolts and washers I used to secure was simple. I fished the bolt through the expanded metal. Just get the bolt, place a washer onto the bolt, large enough so it doesn't slip through the expanded metal. Fish the bolt through the metal, place another washer on the other end and then secure it with the nut.


Sounds easy enough, thanks!! :D
Image

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:11 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Posts: 877
Location: South Jersey

cub4life78 wrote:
Sounds easy enough, thanks!! :D


Be sure to measure the inside (back-to-front) of the SFB first before you cut the angle iron. Cut too short, and the basket will end up sitting on the slide out charcoal drawer.
ImageImage

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:47 pm
MaineiacSmoker well done
well done

Posts: 438
Location: Western Maine
Cub, I just made a template using the bolts to hold the grate on the SFB. I inverted the bolts, (studs out) and drilled through 2" below the bolts. Then, I returned the bolts to their normal setting.....Here's a pic.

Image

BTW, the extra length on the threaded rod make perfect BBQ tool hangers.


Cheers,


Dave
Image

CB 45K Gasser
Modified CG w/ SFB

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:04 pm
cub4life78 medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 53
Location: Topeka, Kansas
MaineiacSmoker wrote:
Cub, I just made a template using the bolts to hold the grate on the SFB. I inverted the bolts, (studs out) and drilled through 2" below the bolts. Then, I returned the bolts to their normal setting.....Here's a pic.

Image

BTW, the extra length on the threaded rod make perfect BBQ tool hangers.


Cheers,


Dave


Looks like that's what I'll be doing, seems easier. Thanks!
Image

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:27 pm
Triple Threat well done
well done

Posts: 1384
Location: Chicago
For holding up the box, consider this. 4' piece of strap steel that bends by hand, crudely cut with a hack saw to fit, $7 at Menards or Lowe's. Using existing holes and hardware, took all of 5 minutes.

Image
Weber Performer
Weber Q200
Chargriller SmokinPro

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:40 pm
MaineiacSmoker well done
well done

Posts: 438
Location: Western Maine
That'll work too!!!


Cheers,


Dave
Image

CB 45K Gasser
Modified CG w/ SFB

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:52 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Posts: 877
Location: South Jersey

Here's a closer view of my charcoal basket and angle iron pieces for its support:

Angle iron in the SFB for support of the basket. No drilling required:

Image


Charcoal basket seated on the lips of the angle iron in the SFB:

Image
Last edited by jazzspot on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:54 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Posts: 877
Location: South Jersey

Triple Threat wrote:
For holding up the box, consider this. 4' piece of strap steel that bends by hand, crudely cut with a hack saw to fit, $7 at Menards or Lowe's. Using existing holes and hardware, took all of 5 minutes.


Triple Threat, that is a good one!! And inexpensive too... which is what matters. 8)
ImageImage

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:57 pm
cub4life78 medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 53
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Triple Threat wrote:
For holding up the box, consider this. 4' piece of strap steel that bends by hand, crudely cut with a hack saw to fit, $7 at Menards or Lowe's. Using existing holes and hardware, took all of 5 minutes.

Image


That would have been helpful 20 minutes ago :wink: I have a huge roll of that stuff in the garage so next time I'll try that, it did cross my mind but I didn't know if it was coated or anything so I just left it, good tip though! I ended up drilling 4 new holes approx. 2" below and right above the tray slider thingy :P I poked the threaded rods through and applied washers and nuts inside and out and all is well, box fits, tray slides in and out so hopefully it'll last awhile. One thing though for future modders, when working with that extended sheet metal, WEAR GLOVES and possibly a long sleeve shirt. My hands and arms look like I fought a freaking badger/wolverine all afternoon. I know it's been mentiond before but HEED THE WARNING!!!!!!! Thanks guys for the help, it really helped me get through this modding process. Cheers!!! 8)
Image

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:02 pm
Triple Threat well done
well done

Posts: 1384
Location: Chicago
jazzspot wrote:
Triple Threat, that is a good one!! And inexpensive too... which is what matters. 8)


Thanks. I kind of impressed myself with it. I'm not too mechanically inclined, nor did I see anyone else do it that way. I was at Menards looking at the angle iron and I spotted the strap steel. And I realized the holes were perfect for a "no drilling" application.

To those interested, just make sure the guage of steel is one you can bend, and know that a 3' piece might not be enough when you consider that there are a couple inches on each side that curve with the sfb to give you the drop. Go with the 4' piece.
Last edited by Triple Threat on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weber Performer
Weber Q200
Chargriller SmokinPro

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:03 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Posts: 877
Location: South Jersey

cub4life78 wrote:
[Thanks guys for the help, it really helped me get through this modding process. Cheers!!! 8)


We're all glad to be of some assistance to you cub4life.
ImageImage

Next

Return to General Discussion