Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials New Recruit-this stuff really works!

New Recruit-this stuff really works!

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:32 pm
thepuma raw
raw

Ever since getting "How to Grill" and "Sauces, Rubs and Marinades", I am a new man! Everything I have tried has worked great!

Beer can chicken = amazing

Grilled pineapple = excellent

Chicken satays = just like in a restaurant.

I also have started to improvise...I have been making burgers on a really hot grill, using the basic barbecue rub and spraying them with some basic mop sauce. It makes a great, juicy BBQ burger.

Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:55 pm
Billy Griller

I bought the How to Grill book last week and since them I've tried:

The Chicken satés.
The east west buffalo wings - it's amazing to discover what a bamboo skewer can do!
The scallops on rosemary skewers.
The smoked potatoes - these were accompanied by Rib Eye steaks.

Everything came out outstanding.

Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:57 am
stripegrill medium
medium

I have to agree, Steve is the Man! I have tried the three-herb chimichurri and it was outstanding. Also, the pineapple was fabulous, all my friends loved it. Recently did the pizza on the grill (I make my own crust so it was wonderful) topped it with some pesto and marinated yellow tomatoes.

One other thing to try--throw an orange or lemon on the grill and serve as a garnish. The sugar carmelizes and it is really good with spicy food.

Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:22 pm
kl8ton rare
rare

I have the How to Grill book and was wondering if the Barbecue Bible had different recipies in it. Does anyone have both?
Clayton

Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:41 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

They do have different recipes--BBQ Bible has a lot of international flair, How to Grill has a lot of method and recipes to help you cook anything. I grill from both (and from the new book, BBQ USA, which has a lot more new and different recipes!).

Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:07 pm
steviej raw
raw

I just happened to be flipping the the channels one day and see this show about a guy at this resort showing couples how to grill and barbeque. By the way, I had just bought a brand new smoker grill with all the attachments in hopes of becoming one of the world's greatest barbeque chefs. So, a few days later I happened to be at the local shopping mall bookstore and see that t.v. guys face on a book called "How to Grill." Remembering how impressed I was at how easy that guy made it look to create backyard masterpieces on that television program, I bought the book. That was exactly five days ago. Today a smoked a 7.5 lb chicken and prepared baked potatoes and cajun style zuchini on my smoker. I totally dominated the grill today and the food was way beyond my expectations.

Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:01 pm
zbig raw
raw

I've got most of them: "The Bible", "Sauces, rubs...", "How to Grill" and "Beer-Can Chicken" - each book is different enough that I strongly recommend you buying all of them. Paperback editions are not too expensive; you can find some even in Costco!...

My wife and I specially love the simplest of all Steven's recipes: chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese, sun-dried tomato and basil leaves... Thank you, thank you!...

In my opinion the advantage of Steven's books is not just his recipes... The biggest asset is that the author actually SHOWS, HELPS, EXPLAINS you how to grill. Many other publications offer multiple recipes but in fact they HIDE the path to SUCCESS.

I've written a review of Polish language edition of S.R.'s "How to grill" - I titled it "The university (and the primer) of grilling" (http://zeta-media.com/grill/rec-raichlen.html). Now you know the rest of the story...

Zbig / Toronto, Canada

Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:41 pm
Roe

My husband just bought all of Steven's books. I was skeptical that he'd actually use them but he fed my friends a couple beer can chickens the other day and now we're all hooked! My friend is moving to Japan and now plans to take a beer can rack along!

Thanks Steven for getting me a bit of extra help with the cooking! :D

Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:15 pm
Gerald raw
raw

I, too, have the How to Grill and then bought the BBQ USA. I have not tried anything that my family and friends did not love, with the exception of the hotdogs with the jalepeno peppers, which my wife did not like. Since buying these books I have gone from grilling occaisonally to 2-3 times per week and looking to expand my grills, etc.
GrillDawg

Post Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:38 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I have all the books and have been using his books for 2 years now. One of my fave recipes in his How To Grill book is the fajitas. Outstanding stuff to the degree my wife insists on them 2-3 times a month. :shock: The only downside to the book is that my copy doesn't have very good bindings and started to fall part faster than I think it should have. I'd pay double if Steve and the pubisher put out copies that lay flat easy, have easy flip to markings along the side (like Weber's Big Book of Grilling) and resist BBQ stains :D Besides that, awesome book and I know I have personally sold at leasrt a dozen copies :)

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:54 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

Airfoils, I know your pain about the binding of "How To Grill." But with a few minutes time, a three hole punch and a three ring binder will save it. Only two of the holes will line up, but the pages separate from each other easily so it lays flat, and is sturdy enough to be easily propped up against anything. It's well worth it.

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:29 pm

I scan each recipe I use, then I can keep my books in good shape. I carry a flashdrive on my keychain, and in it is any prep tips or recipe I've come across.I print out a recipe I will use and it serves as my grocery list as well. My book then stays relatively undamaged.

Return to Testimonials