Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Which Book To Buy Next?

Which Book To Buy Next?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:09 am
hickory pete well done
well done

I currently have the "How To Grill" book. Are there any recommendations on which one of Steven's books to buy next. I know they are all great, and wish that I could buy them all at the same time. Thanks for any suggestions..

Pete

Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:27 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm a big fan of the Beer Can Chicken Book and The Sauces Rubs and Marinades Book.
If you enjoy using different flavorings with your cooking try the latter. The Beer Can Chicken Book is not just about Beer Can Birds. It also contain many great recipies that as as tasty and have the same style and flair of a Beer Can Bird.

I'd go for the Beer Can Book.

Good Luck and Enjoy

"Always Go Big"

Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:30 pm
Big Pappa rare
rare

I would go ahead and get the sauces book next. This way you will have a book for recipies and one for rubs, sauces and all that good stuff. Then you can start adding on after that. :wink:

Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:34 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I completely agree with the others - I would purchase the Sauces, Rubs and Marinades next provided that you can keep yourself from buying all at once (I was hooked after I bought my first one and proceeded to buy them all the next day!)

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:10 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Thanks for the responses...I think the "Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades" is next on the list. I agree that the hardest part is to buy just one book.

Pete

Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:18 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I went to the local Bookstore with every intention of buying "Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades". Strange thing happpened..after picking up "BBQ USA", I couldn't put it down. A lot of good recipes, and great BBQ history about different places. I'm definitely getting the "Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades" next (real dilemma). I'm sure that I am not the only one this problem!!

Pete

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:44 pm

I'd go with the BBQ USA book next. It's got a ton of great recipes and lots of other interesting reading, including rubs, sauces, etc.

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:47 pm
Brody rare
rare

Oops, wasn't logged in. I'd go with the BBQ USA book next. It's got a ton of great recipes and lots of other interesting reading, including rubs, sauces, etc.

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:13 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Brody wrote:
Oops, wasn't logged in. I'd go with the BBQ USA book next. It's got a ton of great recipes and lots of other interesting reading, including rubs, sauces, etc.

That's the exact reason I did buy BBQ USA. A lot of good reading along with great recipes. Maybe next summer I'll try grilling and serving some of the recipes in the same fashion that some of the famous places do.

Thanks,
Pete

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:15 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

hickory pete wrote:
Brody wrote:
Maybe next summer I'll try grilling and serving some of the recipes in the same fashion that some of the famous places do.

Why wait until next summer? Grilling is a year round sport at my house. When it snows the grill get shoveled out before the vehicles do. Just dress warmer, adjust your flame to compensate for the drop in temperature, and use your side burner to keep sauces from freezing. I do reccomend eating indoors however you won't get bug bites like in the summer but frostbite is worse.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:21 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote:
hickory pete wrote:
Brody wrote:
Maybe next summer I'll try grilling and serving some of the recipes in the same fashion that some of the famous places do.

Why wait until next summer? Grilling is a year round sport at my house. When it snows the grill get shoveled out before the vehicles do. Just dress warmer, adjust your flame to compensate for the drop in temperature, and use your side burner to keep sauces from freezing. I do reccomend eating indoors however you won't get bug bites like in the summer but frostbite is worse.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Normally I do grill year round. Unfortunately, I've been confined to a wheel chair...looks like for about 6 months. If I can figure a way to get out there to enjoy the grill I certainly plan on it. It wan't that difficult in warm dry weather, but the snow may present another problem. In the meantime, I still enjoy the reading and planning for the next time. However, if there is a way, I'll be out there.

Pete

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:23 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Pick one and enjoy; they all have their merits. I enjoy the BBQ Bible because it has things that are more exotic and therefore I am more likely to intrigue guests. I have all of his books and have tried a great many recipes and am still experimenting. After having done so for some time, you begin to start putting your own twists on things. While I've been at it for quite some time now, I see no end to the myriad things you can do.

Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:11 pm
Stik2UrRib rare
rare

BBQ USA is a great book. I have enjoyed reading the features as much as the recipes. It is a good recliner book or to have when tending the fire and smoker.

Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:02 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

BBQ USA is a good recliner book. As a matter of fact it is right next to my Lazy Boy chair. A whole lot better than reading the newspaper.

Pete

Post Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:21 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I bought the "Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades" book today. I had my hands on the "Barbecue Bible", but this time I stayed with the book I intended to buy. I'm really looking forward to trying some of the recipe's in this newest book in my collection.

Pete
Last edited by hickory pete on Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to General Discussion