Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Foolproof Barbecued Chicken (USA)

Foolproof Barbecued Chicken (USA)

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:52 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

From BBQ USA, page 374.

Tried this sans the barbecue sauce tonight and it turned out very good. I used 4 chicken legs and 2 turkey thighs and cooked them at 325-350 to right about 165, and I think they would've been fine 5 or even 10 degrees warmer than that. This was also the first time I grilled turkey pieces and I can see myself doing more of that in the future - maybe Cornell style.

The pieces start out skin-up and I flipped them skin-down with the 1st baste, but left them skin-down with the 2nd baste. After that I flipped them each time.

Brad

Post Thu May 17, 2007 3:26 pm
deadball raw
raw

I just made this last weekend, with chicken pieces, and it turned out wonderfully. I found it to be as good as the beer can chicken that I've made in the past. My son (remember the little brother in The Christmas Story? "Every family has a kid that won't eat. My kid brother Randy hadn't eaten voluntarily in over three years." That describes Seth.) couldn't get enough. I personally was most impressed with the Dr Pepper BBQ sauce.

Post Wed May 23, 2007 10:05 am
MarkInStLou medium-rare
medium-rare

Brad_Olson wrote:
From BBQ USA, page 374.

Tried this sans the barbecue sauce tonight and it turned out very good. I used 4 chicken legs and 2 turkey thighs and cooked them at 325-350 to right about 165, and I think they would've been fine 5 or even 10 degrees warmer than that. This was also the first time I grilled turkey pieces and I can see myself doing more of that in the future - maybe Cornell style.

The pieces start out skin-up and I flipped them skin-down with the 1st baste, but left them skin-down with the 2nd baste. After that I flipped them each time.

Brad

Brad, may I ask how long approx. did it take the bird pieces to get to 165???

Return to Testimonials