Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Upgrading propane burner

Upgrading propane burner

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sun May 20, 2007 12:09 pm
C. Piper well done
well done

I'm curious also to see what this thread might produce? I'm with "A" the burner is too weak. I've wondered the same thing. Also my on/off knob control quit working. It turns but no gas comes out? Can you find replacement parts. I know CG doesn't make this appliance. :(
Clay
CharGriller Super Pro W/SFB

Post Sun May 20, 2007 12:34 pm

I have one also but choose to use a fisk cooker or my after-burner to start lump.

It would be nice to cook side dishes on it.

I wonder if the after-burner that sits on the bottom of the vertical smokers would work by puting the stand-off on the top of the expanded steel and bolt ing the unit to the bottom of the side burner?

Jessie
3 Char-Griller Smokin Pros with SFBs
2 Of the CGs afterburner equipt

Post Sun May 20, 2007 2:22 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here is an excellent universal side burner:
http://www.tejassmokers.com/newproducts_page2.htm
I just bought this outdoor stove from Dicks Sporting for $89.00, and I prefer to use it in place of a side burner. It gives 2 powerful burners for less money, it also gives me the flexibility of locating it anywhere around the grill. But it’s all about what you prefer to do.

Post Sun May 20, 2007 5:10 pm
C. Piper well done
well done

"A" I don't kmow anything about how all this works as this is just a shot in the dark. I think (could be wrong here) the Lp is disbursed at certain PSI by a regulator ( maybe?) like maybe 10 PSI and that the LP is mixed with air to a certain predetermined ratio for that PSI (via a venturi - just a guess) . So if you change the outlet size (by drilling) to increase the amount of flame without adjusting the air/fuel mix and the pressure? Dunno if it would be harmful or woud just maybe burn with a sooty yellow flame.

I've heard there are low pressure burners and high pressure burners. I suspect a high pressure burner would both consume more LP and thus burn hotter or more BTU's. Now having said all this my disclaimer is it might all be hogwash. Just my uneducated thoughts on the matter. :oops:
Clay

Post Sun May 20, 2007 10:15 pm
C. Piper well done
well done

Thanks for looking "A". Those all look like the Turkey Fryer regulators and the same type as used by the CG SFB Afterburner. Except I think the Afterburner uses a low pressure 10 PSI regulator and valve.

The High pressure ones would more than likely not be very conservative on LP. I was hoping more for something that would mount in the existing side burner side shelf as much as stock looking as possible and still have more heat output. At least you have the thinking cap on. :wink:
Clay

Post Mon May 21, 2007 2:18 am
C. Piper well done
well done

"A" wrote:
In any case, does BTU directly relate to PSI? Should we be looking for something in between 1 and 10 PSI, or would 1 be enough?

I'm already over my head in this discussion. However I'd venture a somewhat logical guess that the higher pressure regulators produce the highr BTU ratings. I suspect that a low pressure regulator might be the ones with perhaps a minimum PSI of one a very low burner flame and 10 PSI the upper limit of that flame for that burner and that PSI. I'm making these numbers up but when you turn the burner on low perhaps the one PSI would correlate to 5,000 BTU and when you turn it on high to 10 PSI you have maybe 12,000-15,000 BTU. Our current side burners?

If it were a High pressure regulator say maybe 20 PSI then at five PSI you have 5,000 BTU and on high at 20 PSI your running 75,000 BTU? This is just therory on my part. I doubt that they would make a High Pressure LP burner that would utilize the throw away screw on LP bottles?

In all likely hood I'll probably end up with what I had or similar. Or the only other alternative is to purchase an auxillary stand alone unit. The latter is not my first choice. However if push came to shove I would look at using a splitter and running say a turkey fryer burner off my Afterburner tank.

Seems the turkey fryer style burners are in that fifty to seventy five thousand BTU range. More than most any of us would ever need for a side burner I should think?
Clay

Post Mon May 21, 2007 12:29 pm
C. Piper well done
well done

"A" I think by studying the photo that those "toggle switches" are perhaps three valves that turn by lever instead of dial or wheel. I submit that each valve adjusts the flame for one or more burner outlet holes in the circumfrence of the burner. I submit that there may be three seperate rings of flame in one burner that can controlled independently. Perhaps if the occasion merited it the outer ring could be adjusted higher flame than the inner ring and vice versa? I believe the connection for the LP supply would be to the end of the tube to left where a screw on fitting would allow you to connect the supply hose.

In my mind you would still need a regulator with hose (but no valve) as you wouldn't want the three valves being supplied by how ever much pressure would come unrestricted out of the tank. Goes with out saying. I like this burner and would like to look for a way to Mc Gyver it into the place of the stock burner somehow. Without making it look like a butcher job.
Clay

Next

Return to General Discussion