Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Anyone eat at Famos Daves?

Anyone eat at Famos Daves?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:11 pm
chrish well done
well done

I've eaten there twice and i wont go back again, first time was in Wis, Dells and the 2nd time was at the new part of Branson, Mo.
Both times i tried the brisket sandwich and both times 3 little chunks of meat and afew drops of sauce.
the place to try at Branson is the new "Garfields" now that place you wont walk away hungry and besides its next to the new BASS PRO SHOP to walk that food off :lol:
My photobucket Q-view album, 167 pic's

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z315 ... 83/Q-view/

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:35 pm
Triple Threat well done
well done

I think you're first problem is spending too much time in tourist traps! Just kidding.

Of all the chain places,Famous Dave's is my favorite. Now I've only had a few things from there, but I always leave wanting more. Nothing but good experiences, friendly staff, etc.

I had Smokey Bones this past weekend in Springfield, IL, it was not good.
Weber Performer
Weber Q200
Chargriller SmokinPro

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:48 pm
chrish well done
well done

even i know you could be right on that first part :wink:
My photobucket Q-view album, 167 pic's

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z315 ... 83/Q-view/

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:20 pm
Happy Cooker well done
well done

I have eaten there a couple of times.I haven't been back for about 2 years. I can do better at home. Their food is good,but I have a thing about chains. I just don't eat out that often. JT

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:42 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

We've eaten there once in K.C. Kansas last year and it was the best Que of the bunch that trip. We ordered the sampler platter that comes on a trash can lid. 8) The review of our experience is posted here: http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... hp?p=90755

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:20 am

Stopped at the one just south of D.C. (around Dale City/Woodbridge area of Virginia) and wasn't overly impressed with their food. Some good sauces, but the quality of the meats left a little to be desired.

This might have been just a fluke, but I wasn't impressed.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:03 pm
Tee Bone rare
rare

I've always liked the Famous Dave's sauces, but the restaurant was not very good.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:00 pm
phlydude medium-well
medium-well

Had them for the 1st time yesterday.
Food was decent. I had the brisket platter and it was tasty.
My wife wasn't too happy with the BBQ chicken potato she got (she doesn't like dark meat and thats all it was).

They're sauces were OK...the regular one has too much celery seed (or something very similar) in it for my liking.

I prefer Smoky Bones over Famous Dave's but I like Tony Roma's sauces the best of them all.
Weber 22" One-touch Gold, Kenmore 4 burner gasser

Post Tue May 15, 2007 4:37 pm
Andy medium
medium

I am a big fan of the Famous Dave's in Madison, WI.
The food is very good, the employees are friendly, and the place is CLEAN, which is something I can't say about some BBQ places I have visited.
Andy

Weber Genesis 1000
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 18.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 14.5" Smoky Joe

Post Tue May 15, 2007 10:24 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

I've eaten at the Madison, Wisconsin Dells, and Owatonna, MN locations. I ordered the exact same thing at all 3 - brisket - and all 3 tasted different. One was really good and the other two were fair. I think Famous Dave's corporate needs to take a lesson from the fast food chains - all their locations need to offer a consistent product. I don't like McD's, but a Big Mac in NY tastes the same as a Big Mac in AZ.

Post Wed May 16, 2007 8:53 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

But the ingredients in a NY Big Mac are nearly identical to those in an AZ Big Mac (some probably even come from the same distributor). I'm willing to bet that all FDs follow the same basic guidelines and procedures but the variances found in whole cuts of meat and wood can have a noticeable effect on the final product.

Brad

Post Thu May 17, 2007 11:06 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

I can see that if we're talking about locations across country, but these three are within a few hours (as the bird flies) of each other, especially the Dells and Madison locations. There should be no differences in the taste of an exact same item at these locations. It's a lack of strong quality control. If you let each location do their own thing, then one location with bad food can bring the entire chain down. If FD wants their locations to do this, then name the menu choices differently at least.

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:19 am
BBQ Roger rare
rare

I ate the Famous Dave's in Plantina, Illinois last year (manufacturing site of Weber-Stephan Products) on a business trip. I have never found one in this part of California.

The ribs were good if you ordered them "naked". In other words, no sauce applied and you are permitted to pour your own sauces from their offerings into dipping cups. Then dip the sauce you want to taste, not what the kitchen chef applies. With just the rub, they were great and there is only one sauce worth the trouble, in my opinion.

Interesting to note, Famous Dave's won the BBQ Rib cookoff at John Asguaga's Nugget in Sparks, Nevada for the second consecutive year on the Labor Day weekend. I was not there, because the crowds were horrible I am told. I was there the day after.

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:46 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Famous Dave's wins and has won a lot of comps - this is how he got his start -but as another famous ribber and friend of Famous Dave on another forum points out - what you cook at a comp is not necessarily what is cooked in a restaraunt especially a corporate franchise.
We all like to think that we can do as good if not better than some of the barbecue joints that we've tried - especially the franchises.
Personally I'm a sucker for Famous Dave's rib tips - this is what I order when I go. Been about a year since we've gone and don't remember exactly how it was done but my wife had a pork loin that was in an apple cider sauce that was quite good - think it was a limited time special.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:30 am
jamesstew well done
well done

Their cooking team wins lots of rib comps but this isn't the garbage they serve in their restaurants. Their brisket is always dry, never will you see a smoke ring, gas-fired cookers, TGI Fridays contrived atmosphere.

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint