Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion UDS / Homemade Barrel Cookers

UDS / Homemade Barrel Cookers

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon May 14, 2007 3:42 pm
jdub24 medium-rare
medium-rare

Very cool. Thanks for the quick input, fellas. I will tell him to hook me up with 2 kegs. (I will need an extra one for the dreaded idiot rule, I always seem to make at least one project-killing error the first time around whenever saws/torches/various power tools are involved.)
CharGriller SuperPro w/SFB

Go 'Canes

Post Mon May 14, 2007 3:50 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Be confident. If you get 2 kegs, go into the project with the attitude that you're gonna get 2 grills.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Mon May 14, 2007 4:52 pm
baker well done
well done

Food grade barrels can sometimes be had from bakeries and microbreweries. They will sometimes have a liner that will need to be burned out.

I've got an old smoker I made from a 30 gallon garbage can, and a double barrel monstrosity in the making (re "stallled"). I'll see if I can get some pics up.

Just found a WSM on Craigslist for $25. Going off to get it right now. The owner says they used it twice. This will make 4 at the house. It's an illness I tell you.

Post Mon May 14, 2007 4:59 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

baker wrote:

Just found a WSM on Craigslist for $25. Going off to get it right now. The owner says they used it twice. This will make 4 at the house. It's an illness I tell you.

Yeah, if I found a WSM used only twice for $25 I'd get it too. It's definitely an illness. I've had my CG for less than 2 months and I'm already making plans for my next smoker. I think it has a lot to do with the do it yourself aspect as well.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Fri May 18, 2007 2:48 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

jdub24 wrote:
I've been thinking about this for a while now. I've got a good friend that drove for Budweiser for 12 years. He says that he can get me a ton of kegs. Do you master craftsmen think that a keg can stand up to the necessary heat requirements?

I have been using converted beer kegs for homebrewing kettles for years now and they are heated by a cast iron burner. They'll easily stand up to barbecuing heat.

Post Fri May 25, 2007 1:57 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Any new ones being built?

Post Fri May 25, 2007 3:21 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

wlfpkrcn wrote:

I'm still giving my sources some more time on coming up with the free drums before I do mine.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Fri May 25, 2007 7:30 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

wlfpkrcn wrote:

I'm doing some mods this weekend which involve adding about a foot to the height and a new second cooking grate to one of my existing drums. I'll try to take pics.

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:02 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I just found out... I'm supposed to get a 55 gal. drum for free :D 8) I might also pick up a couple smaller 15-20 gallon drums and weld them together for a tall skinny smoker. I think I need to buy the wife flowers :P

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:40 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Sounds good. Post some pics here as you go. I'm still waiting on mine, haven't really been looking lately though. I'll probably wait until after my daughter's wedding at the end of June before I push the issue.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:10 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:45 pm
missing link well done
well done

Motley Que I would love to get the plan for your smoker. Great subject hear there are so many deffence somker on the market so let keep this one going to little bit. 8)
Have Fun and keep it Low and Slow.

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:05 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

SCORE!!!!!!!!!

I just picked up a coal grate and cooking grate from a Weber 22.5". The cooking grate is perfect for a 55 gal. barrel. I'll use the coal grate as a base for a basket. I also got the bottom (still looking for the lid) I know the lid will work for a BDS. Do you think I can pull the broken legs off and use it as a lid? It doesn't have the the 3 hole air vents. It has the elongated holes with the triangulate ash disposal system. What do you guys think?

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:40 am
jamesstew well done
well done

I think it will work fine, you could use the lever to cut the airflow when you are done to extinguish the coals. What are you going to use for dampers, holes and plugs like BDS, ball valves, or new idea or your own? I've been using foil tape on my second unit, until I install the valves, works great.

Post Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:18 am
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I haven't thought about it to much. I'm in the collecting parts stage. I don't want to spend much money :shock: So far I can build the smoke( once I have the barrel) to be usable for $0!!! :D 8) I like the ball valve idea. I am going to try it on the ECB first. I just need the time to do it.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion