Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Going to Atlanta...

Going to Atlanta...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:47 am
hotchef well done
well done

My wife and I are going to Atlanta for a week's vacation and I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a restaurant (or any other event for that matter) that would be worth our time and money. BBcue Z, I know that you are from that area so I am hoping you can give me an "insider's" opinion. Thanks.

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:50 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Welcome Hotchef.
I'm a little north of Atlanta myself. I haven't lived here long enough to know the area too well. Honestly, I hate driving in Atlanta and avoid it unless absolutely neccessary. My wife keeps telling me about a place called the Pink Pig in a little town called Ellijay.
THere's a place called Smokey Bones in Marietta that I hear has good ribs.
Z, if you've got some suggestions, I need to check out the local flavor myself. My wife and I have been talking about taking some day trips to check out nearby spots. I just wish I knew where more were.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:48 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Hotchef,
This one is a must. It’s located in Buckhead (The Entertainment District of Atlanta). It’s a Brazilian BBQ. Let me tell you, it’s an experience you don’t want to miss. If you want to save some money, go during lunch, it’s the same exact menu for half the price ($22 vs. $44/ person). But no matter when you go, it’s well worth it.
http://www.fogodechao.com/flash_index.php
For ribs, Smokey Bones is O.K., but Fat Matt's Rib Shack is everyone’s favorite here in Atlanta.
For Italian, Maggiano’s also in Buckhead is very good.
The Buckhead Diner (next to Fogo De Chao) is also excellent and an interesting experience. You must try their Calamari (even if you don’t like squid, you’ll love this one).
And for fast/junk food, you’ll have to try the historic Varsity. You’ll have to try their chilidogs, onion rings, and the fried pies.
Let me know what your interests/favorite cuisines are and I’ll give you more hints.
Have fun. :)

Vinsect,
There’re hundreds of very interesting restaurants in downtown Atlanta and Buckhead. I don’t like the traffic either, but the food is worth it. Let me know when you’re ready and I’ll give you few pointers. :arrow:

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:29 am
grillmesiter

Definitely try out Swallow in the Hollow for some outstanding barbecue. It's north of Atlanta in Roswell, GA. Give it a try.

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:37 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A Few years ago i was at a place that was a Blues Club and BBQ joint. I've since forgotten the name but not the food. It may have been Fat Matt's. Z can you help my memory here?
That place really was great.

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:38 am
hotchef well done
well done

Z, Thanks for the suggestions. I love trying new stuff so I will probably have to visit Fogo. (I've never had Brazilian food that I know of.) What would you suggest at Fogo? That place that Grand is talking about would be a must for me. My wife and I love good blues and put that with barbecue, now that's a restaurant!

I was also wondering if there were any historic sites around there that would be worth seeing. I am a history minor and I have really found a passion for it. I would assume that there would be no shortage of Civil War history there, but I have tried to search the net and haven't been able to find anything yet.

Grill, how long a drive is Swallow from Atlanta?

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:04 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Grand,
Yes, Fat Matt’s have the blues bands, but there is also another, it’s called Maddy's Rib & Blues Joint. They’re both excellent for BBQ and music.

Hotchef,
Fogo De Chao is an all you can eat place. The bring 17 different cuts of meat to your table and slice them right off of the spit until you say no more (see the pix of the cuts above). Their salad bar is also very attractive, but I would avoid it if you want to try all the different cuts of meats.
For the historical sites: try Stone Mountain park, the have a civil war exhibits. Also see this link for top 10 things to do in Atlanta. I recommend every one of them:
http://atlanta.citysearch.com/roundup/40068

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:09 pm
hotchef well done
well done

17 DIFFERENT CUTS OF MEAT! Wow! Yeah that'll definitely be a stop. You said $22 a person for lunch, so if my wife and I went, the tab would be about $50 total? Thanks for all the help.

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:05 am
Vinsect well done
well done

We usually eat at the Varsity whenever we go downtown. I'll have to get directions to those other places too.
I think I'll have to go to Atlanta next week anyway.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:23 pm
BigDawg rare
rare

I read a lot of the posts here, but don't generally post that much. I've got to chime in here.

Fogo de Chao is an absolute must. Try to go at lunch. They serve the EXACT same cuts of meat at lunch as they do for dinner except for half the price. It is the BEST $22 worth of food money can buy in my opinion. The salad bar is beautiful but if you're a serious carnivore, skip it. Save that room for the meats. Oh yeah, their mashed potatoes and fried plantains that come with the meal are really good. The cheesy biscuits are good, too.

As for the Q, I've lived in or around every suburb of Atlanta for the last 20 years. I've been on the east side, west side, and north sides of Atlanta. The only BBQ I will spend my money on in Atlanta is at The Swallow at the Hollow in Roswell. It is worth the drive. To me, Fatt Matt's is decent and is more of a trendy, tourist type of place to go. Since you will be a tourist, it may be a good place for you. The Swallow at the Hollow has an affiliation with the Blue Bird Cafe in Tennessee as far as the singing talent goes. They have country 'n western shows on certain evenings for free.

If you like seafood and are in town on a Sunday, Ray's on the River has the most incredible all you can eat seafood brunch you will ever experience. Ray's is in Marietta and is located right on the Chattahoochee River. Ray's does not disappoint any day of the week, but the best value is Sundays or lunch-time during the week. Their sushi, ahi tuna, crab cakes, and lobster are sinful. If you're going to be downtown, they have a Ray's in the City which is the same restaurant except not with the ambience of the river.

If you like Asian food, I highly recommend Pacific Rim Bistro which is located downtown. They serve a combination menu of Vietnamese, Cantonese, Japanese, Chinese, and just about any other "ese" you can think of. Once again, prices are better at lunch.

If you want some good country home cookin', I would suggest Mary Mac's Tea Room. It is yet another tourist hot-spot, but this one lives up to its reputation a little better to me. It's not my grandmother's cooking, but it's the closest I've ever found in a restaurant. Their cracklin' cornbread is good.

All of the other Georgia boys who have chimed in are definitely trustworthy with their knowledge of Q'ing. I'm 6'1", 325lbs. You can trust me about knowing food. I didn't get my girlish figure by eating at bad restaurants. :)

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:17 pm
rjones raw
raw

Boy was I shocked when I saw this post last week! I had accepted a one week business engagement in Atlanta for this week. I will be trying to go to Fogo De Chao. It is within 20 miles of where I am currently working. There is a Smoky Bones close by that I may try. I am in the Alpharetta area at this time.
Thanks for all the great input on this one!

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:07 pm
BigDawg rare
rare

rjones,

If you're in Alpharetta, skip the Smokey Bones and go to The Swallow at the Hollow. It's in Roswell, GA which is about 5 miles from the Smokey Bones you're talking about. You won't be sorry. Going to Smokey Bones is like calling a Big Mac a "gourmet burger". Just my $.02 worth. I wouldn't even spend $.02 in that Smokey Bones.

Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:43 am

don't know if you'd already made your trip to atlanta, but swallow in the hollow is about 25 miles north of atlanta in roswell, ga....they have a web site:

www.theswallowinthehollow.com

outstanding food there.

Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:54 am
BigDawg rare
rare

Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:42 pm
finchmob

Glad to have you in town - let me give you the real lowdown on Atlanta BBQ.

Smokey Bones - this is a must miss - avoid at all costs - Smokey Bones is a sports bar concept by Darden restaurants. Darden also owns Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and Bahama Breeze. So unless you like this sort of watered down corporate food - STAY AWAY. This is anti-BBQ. Bad stuff - I promise.

Pig-n-Chik - Best Q in Atlanta as voted by several local magazines. Pulled pork and brunswick stew reign supreme here. Don't miss. Excellent sauce.

Fatt Matt's Rib Shack - good stuff, but really just the ribs. The pulled pork is pre-sauced, which I disagree with.

Old Brick Pit BBQ - This is an authentic NC style BBQ joint built in an old Dairy Queen. I'm a big fan of their pulled pork and their brunswick stew.

Dusty's - Another authentic NC style BBQ joint in Atlanta. Excellent stuff - been around for years. In addition to great pulled pork and stew, the vegetables are excellent and so is the cobbler. These guys are so authentic you get hush puppies with your platter.

Swallow in the Hollow - north of Atlanta - excellent Q - vaguely NC style - great ambience - more than just a Q joint - this is southern style, comfort food

Harold's BBQ - An atlanta institution - located in downtown ATL - excellent Q - famous for having politicians and famous folk visit - I'd say this is somewhere between NC BBQ and Tennessee Q.

Williamson Brother's BBQ - Located in Marietta, GA - best Q in Cobb County - they shred their pork - it's a little dry, but they have a great house Q sauce - not a fan of the brunswick stew - it's trad. GA style stew which is pork only - I'm a big believer in putting chicken in my brunswick.

That's a short list of the best in town. If you are so inclined, give my website a visit http://www.bbqgeek.com - there are a few atlanta references - I'm reworking the site to make it much more ATL specific - the main feature will be a comprehensive list and rating of all ATL Q joints.

Also looking forward to purchasing my Brinkman Chargriller this weekend. Great tip. You folks are my kind of people

Next

Return to General Discussion