Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Best FLA BBQ

Best FLA BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?

Post Wed May 09, 2007 5:54 pm
stlouBBQ well done
well done

I just ate at Billy Bob's Beach Barbecue in Gulf Breeze, Florida. It is located on Hwy 98, right at the exit for Pensacola Beach. Actually, I am still sitting in the booth enjoying a nice cold Bud and I am posting this from my blackberry.

I had the pulled pork. It was served Carolina style, Eastern that is, in a light, clear vinegar sauce. They had a mild and hot ketchup-based sauces they served on the side. They also had straight apple cider vinegar on the side.

The pork was very good. Not all that smokey, but very flavorful. Sauces on the side were good, but not spectacular.

Menu was very inclusive. Covered all basics, including pork, chicken, beef, brisket, sausage and turkey. Also included grilled salmon, and fried shrimp. They also had ribs which, if you believe the picture, are seared meat-side down. However, I did not personally see them.

All traditional sides were included. They had vinegar and creamy cole slaw. I prefer vinegar, so I ordered that as my side. Frankly, it could have used more dressing. It was accompanied by a yeasty dinner roll.

They also had a good selection of "dawgs." They served them with chili and slaw. A picture of the chili dog is a typical part of the decor.

In all it was good. Judging by the number of vans parked in back they do a good catering service.

On edit: Sorry for typo/grammar problems. It is hard on a blackberry. I will clean up when I return home.
Last edited by stlouBBQ on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How many grills do you NEED?!"

Some people just don't understand

Post Wed May 09, 2007 7:36 pm
MaineiacSmoker well done
well done

Norris' in Port St. Lucie is an excellent place to go....I recommend the Rib Sampler.

Cheers,

Dave

CB 45K Gasser
Modified CG w/ SFB

Post Thu May 10, 2007 11:30 am

I was taken to Mississippi Sweets BBQ Co. in Boca Raton when visiting my wifes grandparents, and was impressed with the ribs and pulled pork. The ribs had a dry crust, and were most and chewy when eaten. The meat did not fall off the bone, which I always take as a good sign. The Pulled Pork was very flavorful, and had a very decent amount of bark.

--Larry

Post Mon May 14, 2007 9:52 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board adventurelarry! :D

Post Wed May 30, 2007 11:00 pm
tinplate raw
raw

suggesting a stop at BIG JOHNS in Tampa is a joke.
well, unless you like grilled pork and grilled ribs.
don't forget a load of "out of the can" Showboat beans while you're at it.
gimme a break!

Post Wed May 30, 2007 11:10 pm
tinplate raw
raw

i second the writer who mentioned Blackwater BBQ just south of Downtown Orlando. great pork (injected for flavor), but no brisket. sides were so so.

i tried David's BBQ in Gainesville - chopped pork was ok, but was steamed to heat up and kinda bland without sauce - got unlucky and got the small end of ribs on my combo - wouldn't do it again. from what i hear, Adam's Ribs would be a better choice over by the Univ.

First Choice is still well known in Brandon, but Jaymer-Que just won Best Ribs in Brandon (tampa trib reader voting). I think they also won (or got 2nd) in Chicken and overall BBQ. Its a local joint with owner on site cooking each day set in a residential neighborhood area, so its not as well-known by the masses just due to its location. They'd probably do better with a bigger, easier to find location.

Oh, and went to Smokey Bones for mother's day - that wasn't good at all. can't say anything good about anything there.

Post Thu May 31, 2007 9:45 am
Alztybrn medium-rare
medium-rare

Another_Q_Lover wrote:
Thanks jeffostroff for your reply and information. I've been to WDW a couple times, but haven't seen anything Q related. I'll check out a couple of the places you mentioned, but in Epcot, we usually hit Germany as it reminds me of the food I ate while I was stationed there.

I'll goggle for Q around Orlando and see what it comes up with. Hopefully, something close.

Thanks again!

I am new to the boards, but defiantely not new to Disney. The best (and really only) BBQ in Disney is at the Flame Tree BBQ in Animal Kindgdom. It is not world class by any means, but is a spot we hit every time we go. Pretty good Q, (pulled pork, ribs) with a great atmosphere. If you go all the way to the bottom of the eating area, you are sitting on a lake overlooking Expedition Everest. Cool Spot.

FWIW...you can get a decent pulled pork sandwich at the ESPN club as well.

Post Thu May 31, 2007 1:02 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Alztybrn! :D

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:44 pm
fonzybear rare
rare

templeofdoom wrote:
Orlando: Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ
three locations, I think.
very good sliced beef and pork

Naples, FL: Michelbob's
best baby back's EVER!

I went to bubbalou's in winter springs. Service nice and homely but their pulled pork didn't taste like anything. So disappointed cause I just started getting into queing this year. I hope to try Sunny's next time....heard it was good but not sure. I'd love to hear more bout Orlando places as I go there often too!

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:39 pm

I would have to say Cecil's on Orange ave just off Michigan has great pulled pork. I went to Blackwater twice and the one time I had a pulled pork sandwich and it came with white bread. Now that is not good q...You have to have texas toast. Don't bother with Sonny's that is the equivalent of Mickey D's. Bubbalou's is Ok.

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:46 pm
CFLagent raw
raw

Blackwater always had texas thick white bread. They must have been out that day. I've never had a pulled pork sandwich there without texas bread. I don't care for it to be toasted though.

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:38 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome to the board, CFLagent! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Previous

Return to Best BBQ Joint