Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chargriller vent control not working?

Chargriller vent control not working?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:03 am
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

Chargriller owners,

Question: has any one of you experienced the Vent control wheel not working after smoking for 6+ hours? I smoked my pulled pork last week and i tried to close the vent since I was done with the pork and wanted to kill the fire. But instead of spinning, the little lever just bends. I think I have it a little tighter than necessary so I'm going to loosen it before I Q tomorrow but I just thought it was strange that it wasn't able to handle the heat. I have an extra vent wheel since I got one from both the super pro and the firebox. But just thought I'd ask and see what others are experiencing.

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:18 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I’ve never had any problem with mine. I bit if you loosen it a little it’ll work just fine. My Super Pro came with the a triangle shape vent cover, so I only have one.

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:29 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm guessing you're either too tight or your fire is right up against the vent and is too hot on that thin metal. I've never had that problem either.

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:07 am
Rifter well done
well done

I suspect it is a bit too tight. I know mine on my smoker is. It has that little piece of metal hanging out there... so the last time I did ribs, I went to open it up, and put my foot on it, and pushed it open. The tab bent. :-( I had it working fine, before I installed the smoker box, but I know it was a little looser on the main grill body, than I did it on the smoker box. I put my mits on, and was able to manually turn it, by applying more even pressure to that metal tab. You may have had the same problem I saw. :-)
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Fri May 07, 2010 8:07 pm
call911 raw
raw

i haven't had that happen but ihave inadvertinly removed my finger prints

Post Fri May 07, 2010 8:27 pm
bbq-Ike medium-rare
medium-rare

ouch!

Post Mon May 10, 2010 12:24 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This has never happened on my own SFB, but I fixed a similar issue on a friend's smoker a couple weeks ago. All we did was place a thin metal washer on either side of the vent plate and then we fastened it back in place. The two washers create a bit of a bearing surface so the plate moves smoothly, and if the washers are thin enough it won't affect the airflow. You could also improvise a couple of very thin washers out of aluminum cans, if you have a pair of tin snips and a nail.

You might need a longer bolt if yours is too short, though. And if you do, make sure you're not using a locknut with a nylon bearing - they melt right out.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 11, 2010 9:44 pm
PTL4BBQ medium
medium

Yeah, I had bent my original one a little, so not tight enough and the extra one with the SFB was a great replacement...
I only use gas to start my charcoal chimney...

Return to General Discussion