Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grill type choices...

Grill type choices...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:27 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Big thanks to everyone for your wonderful replies. I've made a charcoal basket for the CG last year and it performed pretty good. I think I need to smoke more often to get a better idea on how the charcoal basket is working for me. Most times on the CG, I do the in-direct cook of my ribs. This is due to the fact that I'm usually too busy on my free time from work to babysit a smoke for 6+ hours. That is my main problem. So I figured, buy a WSM or GOSM, and I can do the various errands and what-not, without having to be overly concerned with how my smoke is coming along.
Great picture Tony of the WSM handling of all those ribs. :shock:

Grand Scale, yes I need to play with the Afterburner more to get a good feel for it. And yes... I'm probably itching for a new toy. :lol:

phyx, sorry. No can do at this time. :wink:

jamesstew, I haven't really considered the BDS. I figured that they couldn't hold more than the ceramic style smokers. Also, their prices start at $325. And the two cooking rack model is $425. The photos of the food looks very nice. But after doing some reading of the testimonials on their website, the BDS may be getting my phone call/email to ask a few questions. Long cooks on the BDS and good temp control seems to be great. And the testimonials from Raichlen himself, makes this smoker very interesting indeed. :wink: I may be able to convince my wife that this will be my final large BBQ hardware purchase.
ImageImage

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:52 pm
ajhunter well done
well done

Fasizzle wrote:
Another vote for the WSM plus CG combo. I bought the WSM because of the better air flow control. My CG leaks like crazy, making it difficult to control temp. I still like it alot for shorter cooks around 6 hours and less. I wouldn't feel comfortable going to sleep with the CG running, but have no problem sleeping while the WSM is running.

While I am partial to my WSMs, I gotta tell ya that the CG is a cookin' machine! :lol: Just plug up those cracks around the SFB charcoal drawer with heavy duty foil while you are cooking. Also, plug up those pesky little utility holes with foil too. Line the inside with Foil and you will find that the CG will hold consistent steady temps for up to 5 hours.

Tony
2 WSMs, CG
KCBS CBJ

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:57 pm
ajhunter well done
well done

jazzspot wrote:
I may be able to convince my wife that this will be my final large BBQ hardware purchase.

Yeah right! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just don't mention that there may be several small to medium sized purchases instead! :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I bought my first two smokers I told my sweetie: "This is all I need!" - She just looked at me with "THE LOOK" and walked out of the room! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony
2 WSMs, CG
KCBS CBJ

Previous

Return to General Discussion