Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grill type choices...

Grill type choices...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:06 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

OK everybody. I need your inputs on which grill to buy. I already have a CG w/SFB. Now I'm looking to buy another smoker. Either a WSM or a GOSM Big Block or similar style gasser. The GOSM is a gasser that from what I've read, smokes really good. The WSM seems to be one of the favorites of charcoal/lump smokers. Why am I looking for another smoker? While the CG is good, I don't have the time, most times, to babysit it during smoking. The WSM/GSM are a start it and somewhat forget it type of smokers. I like the GOSM size, but I like what I hear about the quality of smoked foods from people using the WSM. I'm leaning towards the GOSM because I believe it holds more food. So my breathren/sistren... which should I get? Also, the least amount of mods to get the smoker to optimum performance is another plus.
ImageImage

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:19 pm
T-Rex well done
well done

Well I have the GOSM already and can tell you that it's fantastic. First no mods except maybe adding a bigger/deeper water pan and a bigger wood box. But these are only needed if you are unhappy with the stock ones. It is set it and forget it pretty much. Now the WSM I don't have yet, but I hope for it to arrive sometime this week so I can't help you there other than I went and bought the coal burner so that I can go back to coal smoking from time to time. I would say you can't go wrong with the GOSM. It holds plenty of meat and I like the fact that large packer briskets fit perfectly. Hope this helps a little anyway.

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:57 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I don't know what your budget it, but have you looked at the Kamados / Ceramics ?? Lots of people like the Big Green Egg. I am getting a Grill Some at the end of next week.

It'll set me back about 7 bills before all is said and done, but they are guaranteed for life, and users say a big bag of lump will last 6 months of pretty regular use.

I understand they hold low heat very stable, but can reach 750F+ in 10 minutes. Also, they don't need water pans.

It took a lot of convincing (as well as a fat commission check) to convince the wife, but I'm considering it like an appliance. Also, I know guys whose golf clubs cost way more than that, and I play with real cheesy clubs I bought on the Internet ... :cry:
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:31 pm
C. Piper well done
well done

Jazzspot you already have one of the BEST SET & FORGET smokers on the planet already and don't even realize it. :shock: I wonder how much your looking at spending for a new "set and forget" smoker? Spend just $ 60.00 for the Afterburner LP Char-Griller conversion kit and you have an inexpensive "set and forget" smoker that holds the temp to the exact degree and still has acres of meat smoking space!

It doesn't take five minutes to place the Afterburner in the SFB drawer and screw the hose onto the burner inlet and turn on the tank. I've used mine twice and it will bring your CG up to smoking temp in approx 15 minutes. Then just dial in the temp you want to smoke at on your grate level therm and she holds steady as a rock until you reset or turn it off!

Another bonus is after the cook the mess dissappears! There is nothing in the SFB (cept maybe a tin can full of smoke wood ash) and all you have to do in the MC is empty or throw away your drip pans and turn up the heat to 400*-500* char the grates a few minutes and wire brush off. Mess is all gone. Re-spray or wipe the grates down and all done till nest time..no muss no fuss!

If you like and want to use the ole CG to grill up some chow direct or indirect in the main chamber the Afterburner is fine you don't have to remove it to use the MC for grilling. You can even use the afterburner to heat up the SFB warming shelf if your so equipped! Like to keep your BBQ beans hot while indirect grilling some ribs.

Then when that nice blue bird day arrives and you have the time and inclination you can go back to using briquetts, lump or do a really traditional all wood smoke! Just unscrew the hose take out the Afterburner reinsert your charcoal basket(s) and your good to go. The best of all worlds.

This is the perfect solution ...unless of course this is just an excuse for you to spend allot more of your hard earned money for another smoker. Then this isn't the way for you to go. :wink:
http://www.gassmoker.com/Afterburner_H.htm
Clay
CharGriller Super Pro W/SFB

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:22 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Thanks much for the replies to my question.

Spend just $ 60.00 for the Afterburner LP Char-Griller conversion kit and you have an inexpensive "set and forget" smoker that holds the temp to the exact degree and still has acres of meat smoking space!

C.Piper, I do have the Afterburner and I've only used it once. Seemed like I tried to smoke using it on a kinda breezy day. The burner's flame was some how put our by the wind the one time I used it. It was a good thing I went back outside to check how the burner was going. When I went out to check out the burner was doing, I smelled gas. YIKES!!! Kinda scared me that the wind was able to somehow blow out the flame on the Afterburner. The food was alright, but I was constantly checking the burner to make sure it was still lit. I probably need to use the Afterburner a few more times to get used to it's operation.

I don't know what your budget it, but have you looked at the Kamados / Ceramics ?? Lots of people like the Big Green Egg.

phillyjazz, I had looked at those as welI. I wasn't looking to spend anything near the $500 range though. The wife would have me sleeping on the deck with the grills/smokers. I wanted to spend no more than $250-$300.
Also, they don't seem to hold much food, unless you buy the more expensive large/x-large sizes. And no way am I spending $1000 for a grill. But thanks for pointing out those smokers.

The GOSM and WSM are still on my list.
ImageImage

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:31 pm
ajhunter well done
well done

Though I get up to 5 hours of steady 225* to 250* with my CG, it takes some tinkerin' to get her stable, and then re-stabilized after adding fuel. For long overnight or all-day cooks I must use my WSMs. They hold a boatload of food, the temps stabilize quickly, I can cook up to 16-20 hours on one load of fuel at steady 225*-250* and the meat always comes out wonderful!

I am definitely keeping my CG, but now that I have 2 WSMs I am happier than a rat in a cheese factory!! :lol: :lol:

Tony
2 WSMs, CG
KCBS CBJ

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:39 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

ajhunter wrote:
I am definitely keeping my CG, but now that I have 2 WSMs I am happier than a rat in a cheese factory!! :lol: :lol: Tony

Tony, have you done any mods to your WSM? How are you able to get a "bootload" of food in the WSM. Do you have to place the slab of ribs in the WSM in a circle shape due to their lengths being to long to place them flat?
ImageImage

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:40 am
ajhunter well done
well done

jazzspot wrote:
Tony, have you done any mods to your WSM? How are you able to get a "bootload" of food in the WSM. Do you have to place the slab of ribs in the WSM in a circle shape due to their lengths being to long to place them flat?

Jazzspot,

No mods at all. You can get 12-18 slabs on the WSM depending the sizes and yes, if you roll them. Also, you can get 6 butts in it if you stand the butts upright and lean them in towards each other like a pyramid. You can be creative with briskets and other meats too.

Check out this link to see 12 slabs in the WSM.

Also, here is a pic of 4 large butts in the WSM. If I stand them up on end (held together with skewers I could get 6...

Tony
2 WSMs, CG
KCBS CBJ

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:12 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Boy what a great thread with lots of sound advise. The best part there is no wrong answer. For my part I'll add one more option, keep your CG and play around with the minion method and or a charcoal basket, both will give you longer set amd forget burns. Personally that or an Afterburner (which you said you have but need to play with some more) seem like your best bets. Of course if you've just got the itch for a new toy, which is entirely noble in my mind then you're really going to be ok with either of your options.

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:48 am
phyx well done
well done

I'll take that CG with Afterburner off your hands if you don't want it anymore. I'll give you some quality Canadian beer for it! :D

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:52 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

I have both and love them both. They're like children with two different personalities. I can detect a slight difference in the flavor of the LP and the charcoal though.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:29 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

jazzspot wrote:
Also, they don't seem to hold much food, unless you buy the more expensive large/x-large sizes. .

You do pretty much have to get at least a LARGE Kamodo-style, but extra-large is not really necessary for most users. I was impressed by the pix, below (from the GD Forum), and that is only using a single grate. There are double-decker options where a few racks of ribs would fit there with these chix.

http://www.grilldome.com/GDForum/messages/2925/4002.jpg
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:46 am
riggins44 medium
medium

Great thread! I've never considered an afterburner for my CG. This is something worth looking into more. Thanks!

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:42 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

Have you looked at 'Big Drum Smokers'. I actually made something similar and it works better than any smoker I have ever used. There's no heat-barrier so fat drips on the coals and flavors the meat giving it an unbeleavable taste. It's also Raichlen's favorit smoker, check out the writeup he gave it in Men's Journal:

http://mensjournal.com/toolsToys/0608/grills.html

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:02 pm
Fasizzle medium-rare
medium-rare

Another vote for the WSM plus CG combo. I bought the WSM because of the better air flow control. My CG leaks like crazy, making it difficult to control temp. I still like it alot for shorter cooks around 6 hours and less. I wouldn't feel comfortable going to sleep with the CG running, but have no problem sleeping while the WSM is running.

Next

Return to General Discussion