Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smokebox for char-griller

Smokebox for char-griller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:42 pm
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

:lol: HAHAHAHA I did the same thing. I move my grill when I'm about to grill (I keep it in the shade when I don't use it and move it out in the open when I use it) and I thought the SAME thing as Tony. Everytime I used the shelf to drag it around, I kept thinking to myself how easy it would be to have these shelf fall off one day. I didn't think about the handle on the firebox but NOW I understand it's used with the wheels!!! I feel so stupid!

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:43 pm

RE: Logging in.

I've noticed that if I go to the Forum and click on "log in to check messages" and I log in that I have no problems. If I go to the "log in" and log in, more than 1/2 the time it'll say I'm logged in but if I post something it comes up as "guest" so I'm thinking the issue - at least for me - is to log in for messages, even though I know I won't have any, instead of the "basic" log in. Using the messages log in I've not had any problems.

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:11 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I personally prefer the wheels on the firebox side. I’ve tried them on both sides. And here are my reasons:
-It’s much easier for me to pick up the grill from the side shelf. The side shelf is pretty solid and flimsy at all. The shelf is at a comfortable height for me and gives me better leverage of the grill.
- When picking up the grill from the firebox side, I would have to bend and pick up the main body using only a small handle and the small body of the firebox to lift the larger body of the grill and the majority of the weight of the grill (since I have a bad back, this is not very good for me).
- I’m not sure how long the screws that secure the side firebox would last if you continue to maneuver the grill using the side firebox. Of course, they’re easily replaced, but why bother.
- I know that you shouldn’t move a grill while it’s hot or still on, but sometimes the rain forces us to do so. The only way you could move this grill while it’s hot without any hassles is by using the side shelf.
- That’s how most gas grills are designed to be moved (using a side shelf) and I’m used to it.
Of course, it all boils down to personal preference. Please place the wheels where they’re more comfortable for you. There is no right or wrong way of doing it. If you don’t have a side shelf however, then you have no choice but to place them on the opposite side of the firebox. I think the Smokin’ Pro model does not come with one.

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:37 am

It's interesting, this discussion on the wheels. In another thread on Chargrillers that I posted yesterday, I mentioned I just got mine from Krogers for $79, fully assembled. The wheels were attached to the right side - the fire box side and I didn't think anything about it. Didn't verify against directions for assembly. After purchasing fire box and attaching it out in middle of yard I wheeled it to patio using left-side shelf as my "handle" and didn't have any problems. Then I started reading the discussion that wheels go on left side - away from fire box. Hmmmmm. Went to Chargriller site and on home page at top there's a Smokin' Pro with the wheels on right side. Clicking on link to the Smokin' Pro shows photo with wheels on LEFT side. So I guess Chargriller doesn't care either. Like Z said, do what's best or easiest for you. I'm leaving mine as is - no use messing with perfection.

Hey has anyone else noticed it's Friday? That means the weekend is at hand. That means Q'n!! :D

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:11 am
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

Well, I changed mine because of the handle on the firebox, and the fact that my shelf brackets are plastic, not metal. I figured the plastic would break before the steel bolts would. Another thing I also did with my wheels was replace those wheels that came with the grill with some much sturdier lawn mower wheels. I'm sure the wheels that came with it would probably have lasted, but now I feel much more comfortable dragging the grill all over the place. I have had to drag it into my trailer twice now for a BBQ competition (which we thoroughly lost - but the beer was cold and the comaraderie good). It helped having wheels that were a little more durable when I had to take it off the trailer and drag it over gravel.

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:20 am
mudx2 medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey I did notice it's friday!! And I'm having a bbq tomorrow!!! YEAH!! Probably have about 20 people, including kids. Still kinda working out the menu, :roll: we'll be going to the grocery today. I know I'll do some ribs and probably some wings. There is a blue cheese burger in bbq usa I'm thinking of trying.

The problem I always have is coming up with side items. I haven't decided if I'm going to do any on the grill or not, mostly because of space. I have a brinkman pitmaster deluxe, and a gas grill at my disposal. Ribs and wings will take up the smoker, and probably do the burgers and dogs on the gas grill.

I'm pretty pumped!!

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:34 am
Daemien rare
rare

I noticed the difference between the directions & the picture when assembling my Smokin' Pro. Follow the directions!!! The handle on the firebox is a lot sturdier than the metal shelf supports... they seem to wobble a bit (and I heard one of the shelves snap - altho no apparent damage) when I lifted from that end.

Also, somebody mentioned the Weber chimneys versus the cheapies. What would the difference be? I would assume that you would be paying upwards of $15-$20 for the Weber stamp on the chimney (I bought a cheapie for $9 here at the local Wal-Mart and it works fine!)

Regarding logging in: I put mine on 'Remember Me' and I never have to worry... ;)

D.

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:39 am

I did the remember me thing too, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. :? Don't really know.

As far as the chimney deal, I have a Wally World special too, and it works fine. I don't know what the difference might be.

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:41 am
mudx2 medium-rare
medium-rare

That last post was mine. See what I mean, sometimes it keeps me logged in, sometimes it doesn't.

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:41 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Daemien a few diiferences in the Weber chimneys are:

The Weber is larger and lights more charcoal at once
The Weber has holes in the side which allow more oxygen for faster starts
The Weber is constructed from heavier gauged materials and will out last cheaper starters

I have two $6 cheapies that I bought last year and they are already starting to rust and burn through. My next starters will be Weber's.

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:19 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

I just purchased 2 weber chimneys 15 minutes ago. I like the larger size( more charcoal) & better construction. The thing I really like about it is the extra handle. Your not trying to dump the coals using one main handle. Now, I just need the grill to use them on. The wife says thats coming soon. Maybe this weekend. :wink: Fixin to join the Chargriller family.
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:14 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

You’re already in the family jm42fan. Hopefully you’ll get your grill this weekend and be able to season it and cook something for you and your family. This way they’ll appreciate your new grill as well.

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:08 am
jm42fan well done
well done

Thanks Z

The wife gave me the go ahead. I'll be the guy lookin in the window at Lowes, waitin for them to open. :shock:
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:14 am
BigDaddy medium
medium

Hey Z... do you have a running count on how many of us are now Char-Grill owners?

Sorry haven't been around the board latley... work has been slammin. Just trying to catch up on some posts here over the Saturday Morning Coffee.

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:19 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

BigDaddy wrote:
Hey Z... do you have a running count on how many of us are now Char-Grill owners?

I sure don’t, but it will be nice to find out. It’s probably time to start the Chargriller owners’ thread. I will post it later today with the references to all the hints on this grill.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion