Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion my first "Beer can chicken"

my first "Beer can chicken"

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:49 pm
kuhnarch

Steven:

I made my frirst Beer Can Chicken last weekend, and it was a huge success - but I was the only one who basked in it's glory. I wanted to see if I could pull it off once before I make a few for my friends later on this summer. My problem was that the Memphis rub I used was much less flavorfull on the bird, than on my finger. In fact, the bird was a tad dry! What went wrong? I followed your recepie, and even doublechecked myself as I went...

Any ideas?

Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:55 pm

If you don't like the Memphis rub, try another recipe. There are gazillions on the Web. One of my favorites and a really simple one is to use Old Bay Seasoning as a rub.

As for a dry bird, I've never been able to produce a dry beer-can chicken. The whole technique is popular because the liquid in the can prevents the bird from drying out. You must have really overcooked it. What was the thigh temp when you pulled it? Was there a lot of liquid left in the can? There should be. What cooking temperature did you use?

Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:26 pm
PaulP well done
well done

If the flavor of the rub isn't strong enough, try applying it to the meat under t he skin. Start at the neck end on the greast side and gently work your hands under the skin without tearing it. Apply the rub to the meat. If you're careful and persostent, you can get the skin loosened all the way onto the thighs.

Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:38 am
Bologins raw
raw

Why don't you use the basic rub first and then experiment with the other stuff. The basic rub is very good. Your friends will find it quite satisfying.
Here it is in a jiffy;
1/2 cup Paparika
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Coarse or Sea Salt

I have even added a 1/2 cup of granulated dried garlic too.

Have fun and enjoy. :D

Post Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:13 pm
Tank814 raw
raw

For best flavor results, I find it's better to coat the chicken with the rub the day before and put the chicken in a plastic bag and put it in the fridge overnight. It's also important to put the rub on indside and out. The best tasting I've made ever was really by accident, it rained so we called off the bbq till the next day, the chix were in the fridge with the rub for 2 nights, oh man were they good!!
We always do our chickens three ways :
1. Old Bay - The best rub for beer can chicken in my opinion (Then again, I am from MD!)
2. Rosemary & Thyme - It's excellent, and great to make for those wimps who don't like spicy!
3. Jerk - Made this for the first time tailgating the Ravens home-opener, a big hit.

As for drying out, I've never made one too try, it's almost foolproof, you're probably over-cooking it a bit, I've never had 3 at once take longer the 1.5 hrs and have done one in less than 45 mins.

You might try using a kitchen syringe and inject the chicken with broth and seasonings. if you're worried about drying it out.

Return to General Discussion