Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint MEMPHIS!!!

MEMPHIS!!!

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:39 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Ty! :D

And a big welcome to Texas. 8)

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:22 pm
Ty raw
raw

Ty wrote:
I lived in Memphis for 6 years and currently reside in Dallas-Fort Worth. Don't tell my Texas friends but, Memphis BBQ is the best. My favorite place was Showboat on Hickory Hill although I think I sampled most of the places mentioned above (I have the waistline to prove it) and never had "bad" barbeque.

Oops. Moderator from Texas. Already tasting shoe leather after my first post.

Thanks for the welcome!

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:45 pm
jimneva rare
rare

Ty wrote:
Oops. Moderator from Texas. Already tasting shoe leather after my first post.

Don't worry. Folks from Texas and Memphis can still be friends. I have to admit, there are times when a good beef brisket hits the spot just right.

I used to drive by Showboats every day going to and from work. I have to admit that I never stopped in. However, I have heard many people sing it's praises. I have to agree with you. I don't think there is such a thing as "bad" Memphis BBQ (that is, in Memphis. I have experienced some bad imitations elsewhere.). Each place may put it's own unique touch on the BBQ or the whole BBQ experience, but they're all good.

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm
Eek raw
raw

As a native Memphian, I can't believe nobody's mentioned The BBQ Shop on Madison (between McLean and Belvidere). The ribs are excellent. I'm a dry rib lover and these are my favorite, though I have to admit, the wet ribs are nearly good enough to make me a convert. As for sandwiches, while I won't turn my nose up at a Tops or a Showboat, The BBQ Shop serves up a sandwich piled high on Texas toast that can't be beat.

I also remember Coletta's serving up a great BBQ pizza. Now I've done it. I've made myself homesick.

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:49 pm
ubbergubber medium-rare
medium-rare

Been doing back reading on old threads and I had to get new blood into this one...

Every bbq pilgrim should get to Memphis once in there lives...or so I think .took my wife out to eat thare... (I live in Wi. and some women complain there men don’t take them any where ... :o ...) and try the real original dry rub at the randezvue.
For some strange reason after finding a copy of the bar-b q bible I just had to try some of these places, kinda’ like a pork grease safari .and the killer red beans and rice.

Now if any one finds this .......keep the dry rubs thick and this thread lively ....next time I’ll write about B.B.’s place..
"Fire up the grill cuz huntin' aint catch 'n release!"
.. Ubber gubber .. murph..

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:51 am
chesley raw
raw

Ty wrote:
I lived in Memphis for 6 years and currently reside in Dallas-Fort Worth. Don't tell my Texas friends but, Memphis BBQ is the best. My favorite place was Showboat on Hickory Hill although I think I sampled most of the places mentioned above (I have the waistline to prove it) and never had "bad" barbeque.

I lived in Houston for 2 1/2 years, and ate a lot of Mexican and a lot of Barbecue. I missed the Mexican when I left, but I couldn't wait to get back to Tuscaloosa, Alabama for the best ribs and butt in the world.

Memphis is pretty good, though, especially compared to Texas. In Memphis I've eaten at the Rendezvous, Corkys, the Rum Boogie Cafe on Beale, and Neely's. Neeley's was far and away the best, but the most impressive was Rum Boogie. It was the first time I had ever had "dry" ribs. And they were GOOOOOOD!!!. However, other trips to the RB showed their ribs to be inconsistent. Give me Neeley's

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:17 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board chesley! :D

I hope you're referring to "restuarant ribs" in Texas. :lol:

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:18 pm
chesley raw
raw

Well, yes, I guess that I am. I ate at other people's houses while I was there, but none of them served ribs. Had some fantastic chili, though.

However, my real objection to Barbecue, the way it was done in Texas, is the closed pit method. I prefer the flavor of the open pit method of the Southeast. Direct grilling, at about 3 feet from the fire. The fat drips onto the burning wood and ignites giving a very nice taste. Also, the temperature seems to be higher, giving a tender bite, yet one with texture. Finally, smoke is like salt as a flavoring, a little goes a long way. Smoked meat can be very good, but it is very easy to overdo. The open pit lets it dissipate some.

All that being said, Texas is a huge state, and I only ate at about 10 different barbecue joints in the time I was there, all in the Houston area. This is hardly a fair sampling, so I could be very wrong.

Also, there is the matter of sauce. Everybody has his own opinion, and mine is no better than yours or anybody else's. However, I prefer a vinergary, thin, tart sauce to the sweeter, thicker, if hotter, sauces that I encountered in Texas. While good barbecue doesn't really need sauce, it is an added little touch that I appreciate.

Now I've made myself hungry. :lol:

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:00 am
ajhunter well done
well done

Jakester wrote:
I agree, Memphis is one of the best places to go for BBQ. I usually go to Piggy's on Beale Street.

The wife and I are celebrating 21 years next weekend and we are going to memphis and staying on beale street - Piggys will be paid a visit for sure! :D

Tony
2 WSMs, CG
KCBS CBJ

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:00 pm
Swinebuck raw
raw

ajhunter: Congratulations on the anniverary! All the spots in Memphis are good but none better than Memphis In May. You can smell the BBQ for miles. Swinebucks is competing in the rib competition. Hope you can get back for the festivities.
Thanks
Mike
Swinebuck
Swinebucks BBQ Team is sponsored by Starbucks Coffee.
The rub and sauce are made from Starbucks Coffee.

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:29 pm
ajhunter well done
well done

Swinebuck wrote:
ajhunter: Congratulations on the anniverary! All the spots in Memphis are good but none better than Memphis In May. You can smell the BBQ for miles. Swinebucks is competing in the rib competition. Hope you can get back for the festivities.
Thanks
Mike
Swinebuck

Mike, I plan come back for MIM if at all possible. If I make it I will definitely look you up.

Tony
2 WSMs, CG
KCBS CBJ

Post Fri May 18, 2007 2:33 pm

I like Corky's the best, although I also like Neely's. I prefer BBQ Nachos. On a slightly off-topic note, I was excited to discover an all you can eat Mexican Buffet recently on Hacks Cross Road.

Post Tue May 22, 2007 6:21 am
C-pher rare
rare

Oh man, do I miss May in Memphis. We moved there from Louisana when i was in High School, lived there until College. After College, went back to NOLA, but my Mom never left Memphis. She even opened her own place. (not BBQ) Memphis in May was my favorite time of the year. I lived for BBQ week.

I'm supprised that not one person from Memphis even brought up the best BBQ joint in the area. Interstate BBQ...I think that it's one ot the best around...

And I'm going to agree, Corky's is OK. But there are so many that are so much better... I do like Corky's rub for things like grilling Potatoes and the like...makes a good veggy seasoning.

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:29 pm
jhigley rare
rare

Memphis gets my vote too.. I lived in Memphis for 2 years and worked on Union street downtown by the river. MIM was always the best time of year, granted, it got a bit crazy downtown then too.

The best BBQ there is Commisary by far for pulled pork. Neelys has the best BBQ Nachos. Roudevous has the best dry ribs and sampler platter. (Also, if you're in memphis and the Red Birds are playing, don't miss a game, besides the fun, they serve Roudevous BBQ nachos there.)

The best steak is a joint out in Arlingtons called Vinigar Jims.. wow, for all the pork we ate there in memphis, it was a good to have some of the other meat from time to time.
------------------------------------
Rub it on... serve it dry.

Char-Griller Duo 5050

Post Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:44 am
Coltrane raw
raw

Will be passing thru Memphis next month. Do plan on stopping for some BBQ. Can anyone suggest a great BBQ place that is friendly to kids? Thanks.

PreviousNext

Return to Best BBQ Joint