Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint St. Louis Eats

St. Louis Eats

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:57 pm
STLSmoker rare
rare

The only good place in STL that I have found is called Smokin' Al's. I went to a place that was voted best BBQ in STL by the "Riverfront Times". It was called Phil's Bar-B-Que. NOT GOOD AT ALL. I guess STL isn't really know for BarBQue. I'll have to do it all myself.

Anyone else know of any good places here?

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:54 pm
Triple Threat well done
well done

STL - as I said in another post, my wife is from STL. Her friends are in O'Fallon, check this place out. Both times we went there I had their brisket, it was awesome. Cool place to go in general.

http://www.ethylssmokehouse.com/
Weber Performer
Weber Q200
Chargriller SmokinPro

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:52 am
STLSmoker rare
rare

Triple Threat wrote:
STL - as I said in another post, my wife is from STL. Her friends are in O'Fallon, check this place out. Both times we went there I had their brisket, it was awesome. Cool place to go in general.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out sometime. Hope it's worth it, cause O'Fallon is almost an hour away from South City. :lol:
I smoke 2 pigs in time of peace, and 2 in time of war. I smoke 2 pigs before I smoke 2 pigs, and then I smoke 2 more.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:43 am
Triple Threat well done
well done

Oh man, now you're putting pressure on me. Well I thought it was good anyway. The place has a nice outdoor area; outdoor dining, playground for the kids (if you have any), sand volleyball courts, etc.. I thought it was a cool place, good beer selection too. I thought it was worth the drive from Chesterfield anyway.

Where is South City? Is that by that Grant's Farm or something? My wife's friend just moved right there.
Weber Performer
Weber Q200
Chargriller SmokinPro

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:39 pm
STLSmoker rare
rare

Yeah, I'm about 3 or 4 miles NE of Grant's Farm (up Gravois). About 7-10 minutes south of downtown.

Sounds like my kind of place. I'll let you know when I get around to going!
I smoke 2 pigs in time of peace, and 2 in time of war. I smoke 2 pigs before I smoke 2 pigs, and then I smoke 2 more.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:46 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

Too bad Ethyls's will be too far away for me. I'll be In St. Louis visiting family at the end of month, but that's down by I-44 and Hwy 141. I guess I'll just have to suffer and go to Super Smoker's in Eureka. :D

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:54 am
stlouBBQ well done
well done

I guess I'll just have to suffer and go to Super Smoker's in Eureka.

Ed, that sarcasm is almost as good as Super Smokers! :D

There is also a relatively new place in Soulard called Fat Tony's. I haven't tried it, though. Bandana's is just alright, IMHO.
"How many grills do you NEED?!"

Some people just don't understand

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:21 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

stlouBBQ wrote:
There is also a relatively new place in Soulard called Fat Tony's.

Do you know where at in Soulard? We may need to stop there. We're going to St. Louis this weekend and the wife wants to go down to Soulard to the market - after my visit to Piekutowski's, of course. I have to stock up on my Polish and Krakow sausage - mmmmm :D

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:24 pm
stlouBBQ well done
well done

Hey Ed,

Tony's is just off the market. It is behind the market, so on 9th St. I'm not really sure, but probably near Lafayette. That may not be exact, but if you go north and south on 9th around Lafayette, you will run in to it. Be on the lookout, though. Like most other buildings in Soulard it is historically correct, so there is no big sign, etc. Just look for a sign painted on the window.

Have a great time here in St. Louis this weekend. Let me know how Fat Tony's is. BTW, if you don't already know, there is an EXCELLENT spice shop in Soulard Market. It is an absolute MUST.

Give us a report on how things turn out!
Last edited by stlouBBQ on Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:32 am
Triple Threat well done
well done

Going to visit the in-laws in Chesterfield over Easter. Maybe we can visit the market while there. I think I've been to that spice shop, but didn't have much time to look around.
Weber Performer
Weber Q200
Chargriller SmokinPro

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:10 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

stlouBBQ wrote:
BTW, if you don't already know, there is an EXCELLENT spice shop in Soulard Market. It is an absolute MUST.

Give us a report on how things turn out!

I guess that's the one inside across from the meat shop? I've been there many times. My wife was a regular at the market, even though we lived in South County. She'd go twice a week and stop at the same 4 vendors every time. It got to where they knew each others names and they would already have her items waiting for her. :lol:

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:30 am
stlouBBQ well done
well done

That's hilarious, ed. If they recognized her in that spice shop she must have really been a good customer. That place is always so busy every time I go in there it is amazing they would remember someone like that. We used to live in Soulard and we would just walk there every weekend. That was fun. We don't get there nearly as much anymore.

BTW, don't forget Smoki O's on North Broadway. It's just a few blocks north of the Edward Jones Dome. Good bbq at reasonable prices.

Also, below is a letter from the Louis Maull IV, the head of Maull's Barbecue Sauce, regarding St. Louis bbq. The link is at: maull.com.

Over the years, the word about Maull's great taste was gradually passed on from one person to another, and eventually from generation to generation. In the 1950s, when barbecuing increased rapidly in popularity, St. Louisians came to the realization that the secret to really great barbecue is the sauce. Maull's quickly became their favorite sauce and has remained that way to this day.

One reason is that Maull's enhances the flavor of barbecued meats without overpowering them. It's a relatively mild-flavored yet distinctive sauce that people of all ages can enjoy. Maull's mild flavor also makes it a perfect base sauce for adding your own extra "secret" ingredients, which 50% of barbecuers like to do.

We like to think that Maull's great taste has contributed to making St. Louis the Barbecue Capital of the world. St. Louis' claim to that title may surprise a lot of people who think that Memphis, New Orleans or Kansas City is the Barbecue Capital. But while those cities may have very well-known barbecue restaurants, the people in those cities don't use nearly as much barbecue sauce on a per capita basis as St. Louisians. According to the Nielsen company, which measures consumer sales through food stores , St. Louisians use 2-1/2 times more barbecue sauce than the national average -- much more than any other city.

The reasons? St. Louisians like to barbecue more at home with family and friends, rather than go out to restaurants. Plus, St. Louis is also the nation's Pork Steak Capitol. Unheard of in many other cities, pork steaks (cut from pork butts) are St. Louisians' favorite meat to barbecue.
Pork steaks are economical, tender and very flavorful (when barbecued with the right sauce, of course). Pork ribs, chicken, hamburgers and hot dogs are also frequently barbecued. In fact, there's almost nothing that a St. Louisan won't barbecue. Incidentally, in the Midwest, we define "barbecuing" as cooking on an open fire with sauce. If you don't use barbecue sauce, then it's simply "grilling".

During the barbecue season (which is pretty much the same as daylight savings time, because most people don't like to barbecue in the dark), St. Louisians use more Maull's Barbecue Sauce than all other brands combined! To be the Number 1 sauce in the Number 1 barbecue sauce market is something we take great pride in.

Maull's is not available nationally in food stores all across the country. Being a family operation, we can't afford that yet. Never the less, we have expanded gradually over the years and Maull's Barbecue Sauce is now distributed in the Midwest and certain ot her areas.

However, if Maull's is not available in a store near you, you can order a 3-pack or 6-pack of Maull's Barbecue Sauce for yourself (or for someone else as a gift) and your order will be delivered right to your door. Click here for ORDERING INFORMATION.

Over the years, we have added eight additional flavors to our original Maull's Genuine sauce. Each one has that recognizable Maull's "trademark" flavor, but with slight differences to please every palate. Click here to see all the various FLAVORS of Maull's Barbecue Sauce.

I hope you try our fine Maull's Barbecue Sauce, and find out why St. Louis is truly the Barbecue Capital of the world. I welcome any comments you may have. Click here to send me your COMMENTS.

Flavorfully yours,

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:24 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Mike Mills recently opened a 17th St. Bar & Grill in O'Fallon.
Can't go wrong with Super Smokers in Eureka.
If you get out toward St. Charles - check out Figaro's - one of the best sauce shops I've ever seen.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:51 pm
odysseyroc rare
rare

Triple Threat wrote:

I recently moved from Los Angeles to O'fallon and so far Ethyl's is the best I've had since I've been here.

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:03 am
stlouBBQ well done
well done

Welcome!

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint