Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Bacon on the Cast Iron Grates?

Bacon on the Cast Iron Grates?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:53 pm
STLSmoker rare
rare

jazzspot wrote:
STLSmoker wrote:
I thought I read not to use soap on cast iron? Is that the case or not?

Sure you can. I know I have in the past. As long as you do the seasoning routine again prior to cooking on them again.

Cool thanks. I'm seasoning my new CG Smokin' Pro tonight. Can't wait!!!

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:53 pm
grilltender john well done
well done

you guys got it. i think the use of soap gets off all the crud that can become rancid over time. i use soapy water on mine after each use then coat with oil afterwards.
how you done did dat?

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:55 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

grilltender john wrote:
you guys got it. i think the use of soap gets off all the crud that can become rancid over time. i use soapy water on mine after each use then coat with oil afterwards.

WOW!! After each use you clean your grates with soap and water? My hat's off to you sir for taking the time to season your grates after each use.
ImageImage

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:59 pm
STLSmoker rare
rare

During the winter, is there anything you do to winterize the grates? Do you take them indoors? Would it be a good idea to try and cook on them from time to time in the cold? They won't break in drastic temp changes, will they?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm showing my newbie colors!! :oops:

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:31 pm
Triple Threat well done
well done

STLSmoker wrote:
During the winter, is there anything you do to winterize the grates? Do you take them indoors? Would it be a good idea to try and cook on them from time to time in the cold? They won't break in drastic temp changes, will they?

Don't apologize at all, that's a good questions about winterizing, I'm interesting in seeing the responses. I suspect the southerns will use them year-round. But for me, I wont use my CG in the winter (I'll use my 2 other grills). So for my CG grates, I'll probably wrap them up and bring them inside, after applying a thin coat of oil.
Weber Performer
Weber Q200
Chargriller SmokinPro

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:34 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

STLSmoker wrote:

No the grates won't break or crack as far as I know, due to extreme temp changes. I cooked on them in December & January a few times when the temp was below 30 and there were no ill effects to the grates. And no, I never bought the grates inside the house for safekeeping during the winter.
ImageImage

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:43 pm
Eaglesno1 rare
rare

Nope, I just oil them up and cover the grill for the winter. The first cook of the spring I do a direct cook and som burgers and sausage to reseason for the winter. At the end a smoke I usually slide the grates into the side fire box and get real hot to scape and then put them back in place.

Previous

Return to General Discussion