Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion I found the smoker of my dreams!!

I found the smoker of my dreams!!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:35 pm
Lisa_N rare
rare

Yesterday I found a really nice smoker at Home Depot (New Braunfels Bandera Smoker 99205600) for under 300 bucks! I've been doing some research on the internet and it seems this will great for doing large amounts of food, I plan to do a lot of salmon smoking.
There's only one left so I hope hubby can pick it up this week before someone else grabs it!
If anyone else has ever smoked salmon, I could use any advice because this will be my first time. Wish me luck!

Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:40 pm
mnfolks raw
raw

Lisa
Hi I to have an intrest in smoking. I looked at out home depot in Eagan Mn and no luck. Have you seen this product anywhere ealse?
Tom (MnFolks)

Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:50 pm
Lisa_N rare
rare

I haven't located any in the stores yet but I'm checking online. What I did was type New Braunfels Bandera 99205600 into my search engine and found the website but it didn't have any purchasing information. I found some information at Epinions.com about this smoker and now I'm just checking different comparison shopping websites so I can get the best price. Good Luck :D

Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:31 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

You can get them at Academy Sporting Goods. Also http://www.nbsmoker.com/

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:18 am

The trick is to find a recipe you like. You usually brine the fish for a specified amount of time in the ingredients. The "How To Grill" book has a nice recipe. Try a little at a time till you find one you are really happy with, or change up the ingredients to have variety. Here in AK, we smoke lots of salmon. Different salmon varieties also have diffent tastes and textures when smoked, at least I've found. Go a little heavier on the salt if you prefer the saltier fish, a little heavier on the brown sugar for a sweeter version. I've been experiementing with different seasonings just before smoking (lemon pepper, pepper corns, cajun spices, etc.) Then, the length of time in the smoker will determine how tender/dry your meat is. All summer long I sample different styles of smoked salmon, and it's hard to pick a favorite. You find one you really like, then someone gives you a sample of one that's better. Good luck. I'm still searching for the perfect recipe! I think making a variety of flavors helps when you are doing a large quantity of salmon. The taste doesn't get old

Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:23 am
Longmill

These are sold at Walmart, too. Looked at one yesterday. Appear to be a good heavy duty smoker.

Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:40 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I got mine at Barbeques Galore. It is essentially the same smoker. It was built in the same factory with some added features. It has a stainless shelf in front of the grill. It has a shelf welded to the firebox door to keep mops and sauces warm, and came with a propane starter . Enjoy,

Eric

Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:02 pm

Here's a link to BBQ Galore http://www.bbqgalore-online.com/bbq2001 ... sku=263350
I was unable to find the one you are looking at on the Home depot site, but I believe it is should be the same one.

Eric

Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:17 pm
Lisa_N rare
rare

Well, I finally bought the smoker that I've been raving about for the last few weeks this morning and now I'm just waiting for hubby to put it together. I have researched several methods for smoking salmon, and I think I'm just going to stick with the one in the How To Grill book for starters. Thanks for all your help everyone! :lol:

Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:16 pm
egkor rare
rare

Hi,

At some point in the recent past, Char Broil bought New Braunfels Smoker Co.

I was at HD just today, and saw the "Char Broil" Bandera smoker. Nice unit.

I have been using a New Braunfels Black Diamond (NBBD) horizontal smoker for the last 8 years or so. This is now called the Char Broil "Silver" model.

-egkor

Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:45 pm

Thanks for the info!

Post Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:36 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

Lisa_N wrote:
Yesterday I found a really nice smoker at Home Depot (New Braunfels Bandera Smoker 99205600) for under 300 bucks! I've been doing some research on the internet and it seems this will great for doing large amounts of food, I plan to do a lot of salmon smoking.
There's only one left so I hope hubby can pick it up this week before someone else grabs it!
If anyone else has ever smoked salmon, I could use any advice because this will be my first time. Wish me luck!

Dear Lisa,

I can understand your feelings. I was looking at the New Braunfels Bandera at the new Wal-Mart Super Center in Casa Grande (AZ) today. They are asking $248, and I fell in love. The only problem was that I was almost ejected from the store, after they made me clean all the drool off the unit. Gosh, I think it is prettier than two speckled pups. *sigh* Maybe someday, after we win the lottery. :lol:

Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:22 am

I have been smoking Salmon for 25 years and have several very good recipes. The one I like best is:

approx 10 lbs of salmon cut into 2x2 pieces
I gallon water
3 lbs brown sugar
3 cups soy sauce
1 cup salt
1 cup sugar

Mix all ingredients together ( I heat up 1/2 gallon of water to desolve sugar and salt first) and add the salmon to the brine and marinate for 24 hours. Remove salmon and rinse. Place salmon in a bowl and cover with Yoshida's Gourmet suace and marinate for another 8 hours. REmove salmon and place on a rack and let it dry for 4-6 hours ( to create a glaze) then place in smoker and smoke for 8-12 hours if you are using a low heat smoker. Less if you have a hotter smoker. Enjoy !

Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:17 pm
hairbear

OK, I did a search for this smoker (New Braunfels Bandera Smoker 99205600) and was not able to locate it for under $300.00. Also, I looked at the suggested listed links and no luck....So, who has it and where can I find this smoker for under $300? And Thanks for your help!!!!

Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:43 pm
egkor rare
rare

Hi Hairbear,

Update 9/23/03 2:00 pm CST

I was just in Home Depot, their price is $298 USD, sorry, my recollection was incorrect.

-egkor

Next

Return to General Discussion