Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Atlanta area BBQ

Atlanta area BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:44 pm
ecdirect raw
raw

They closed Dreamland in Conyers.

Dreamland is good for sauce...they need to add beef ribs/brisket to the menu

They also only chop the pork, and don't pull it...Not the same IMO

Post Fri May 12, 2006 5:59 pm
Scotty raw
raw

OK guys,
I have lived in metro ATL all my life and my two favorites are:
Spiced Right BBQ in Lilburn - Hwy 29 & Rockbridge rd ( roughly)
Lefty's BBQ in Buford - I-985 & Friendship Rd ( behind the Advanced Auto Parts)
Dillards in Suwanee is good too - Buford Hwy & Lawrenceville Suwanee Rd
I like Dreamlands OK
Slope's is Bad, never go there again.
Out of town favorites:
Richey's in Harpersville, ALA
Andrew's in Birmingham
Jim & Nick's in Montgomery, ALA

Post Fri May 12, 2006 11:03 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Scotty! :D

Post Sun May 14, 2006 10:27 pm
Steve D medium
medium

We hit Sprayberry's in Newnan fairly often. Used to go to Malear' in Union City before it closed down. Malear's in Fayetteville was still good last time we were there but its been a while.

Gettin a bit further from Atlanta you can find Country's in LaGrange and Columbus and Mike & Eds, also in Columbus

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:08 pm
fubop raw
raw

I lived in Atlanta about 10 years ago and I still have dreams about Old Hickory House and Harolds.

Are they still around?

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:10 pm
Steve D medium
medium

Harolds is still around and I think there might be a couple of the Old Hickory Houses around. They sure were good. There was one near Decatur that my dad used to take me to sometimes....

There's a new chain BBQ place opened up in Newnan called Shane's Rib Shack. We gave it a try a while back and weren't impressed and tried it again over the weekend to see if it the first time was a fluke - it wasn't.

Didn't care for the stew really (it wouldn't have been too bad if I'd wanted gumbo instead of brunswick stew as it tasted more like gumbo).

The chopped pork was was good at forst but as we ate it seemed like some very greasy meat had been hidden under a little less greasy meat.

We decided we might make one more trip back to try the ribs but if they aren't any better we'll just write Shane's off our list.

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:16 pm
CFLagent raw
raw

While living in the ATL, I live right around the corner from Dusty's BBQ. It was good and probably had the best Bruswick Stew I've ever had.

the sauces are of the vinegar variety, which are not my favorites, but it was a nice change from Fatt Matt's.

http://www.dustys.com/references.htm

1815 Briarcliff Rd., Atlanta, GA,

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:35 am
SmokeyBear medium
medium

Steve D wrote:
Harolds is still around and I think there might be a couple of the Old Hickory Houses around. They sure were good. There was one near Decatur that my dad used to take me to sometimes....

There's a new chain BBQ place opened up in Newnan called Shane's Rib Shack. We gave it a try a while back and weren't impressed and tried it again over the weekend to see if it the first time was a fluke - it wasn't.

Didn't care for the stew really (it wouldn't have been too bad if I'd wanted gumbo instead of brunswick stew as it tasted more like gumbo).

The chopped pork was was good at forst but as we ate it seemed like some very greasy meat had been hidden under a little less greasy meat.

We decided we might make one more trip back to try the ribs but if they aren't any better we'll just write Shane's off our list.

I've eaten at the Shane's in Athens a good bit. They don't cook their stuff on sight. It is trucked in from somewhere. As long as they are consistantly busy, the pork is pretty good as they have to keep bringing in fresh product, but during slow times when UGA is not in session and the product doesn't turn over as fast it will fall off a bit.

They just opened in Winder as well, and I know there is one in Locust Grove.
large BGE
Sunbeam 340 gasser
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
Weber Smokey Joe Silver
Weber Q 120

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:39 pm
BHD rare
rare

My two favorites are:

KC Pitt BBQ off Roswell Rd - the ribs are the sweet and smoky Kansas City style. Also, they have a jazz band that plays on weekends. Great food and the band was good. The ribs are spares...

Swallow in the Hallow - From where I live, we pass 5 other BBQ places (Slope's X 2, Dreamland, Sonny's and Texas Lone Star) in order to get to Swallow. We enjoy the baby backs. They are also more of a sweet and smoky style. Also, as if you are not full enough, they have a great banana pudding with fresh chocalate chip cookies....I usually am too full to have dessert as portions are big.

There was a great how on PBS in Atlanta that listed 10-11 great BBQ places. My wife and I are on the quest to hit each one!

BHD

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:43 pm
BHD rare
rare

I agree with earlier posts about Shane's.

I always try the ribs on my frist trip to a BBQ place. It was almost as if they were boiled! No smoke ring or flavor. The ribs were also very greasy.

Maybe a bad batch, who knows. I saw a special on Shane and his wife. They went through alot to open up a restaurant and have expanded successfully. Even though I did not care for the food, it is obvious that a lot of people do!

BHD

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:20 pm
gri5thj raw
raw

I am a little late getting in the discussion on this one but for what its worth ...

I was born and raised just outside Atlanta (Stone Mountain, actually) and there are any number of good/great BBQ joints in Hot 'lanta.

Just acouple that come to mind is the old Hickory House. It used to be a local chain but only one location is left, that I know of. it is located in a strip mall east of I-285 at Northlake Mall exit. It is worth the trip and the breakfast ain't bad either!

The other is a joint called Harold's. It is just south of downtown at 171 McDonough Boulevard. Better get there early for lunch! It is well known to locals and fills up quick.

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:58 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board gri5thj! :D

We've been to Stone Mountain 3 or 4 times. Love the light show 8) Was on top of it one day when some lightning rolled through they shut down the gondola for a couple hours. Got a great view of the light show of a different type. :shock:

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:46 pm
kravatron rare
rare

There is definitely some awful bbq in Atlanta.

But, more importantly, there is some fantastic bbq in the ATL. Along with those previously listed, I gotta give praise to Pig n' Chik. The pulled pork is amazing and their sauces are diverse and delicious. Their sides stink, though. The only green veg they have is steamed broccoli. Steamed broccoli? Yep. There is like a holy trinity of bbq-side dished in Atlanta and broccoli ain't one of 'em. No collards? ...it's insane. Anyway, the PP is awesome...I should try the ribs.

http://www.pignchik.net/

Post Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:16 pm
kravatron rare
rare

um...sorry to say I tried the ribs at Pig n' Chik today. They obviously smoked them, but (for some unknown reason) they felt compelled to deep fry them prior to serving!!!

...so disappointed. :(

Anyone ever heard of doing this? I was/am blown away.

Post Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:48 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Almost sounds like a "hey, look at us, we're different" gimmick designed to separate them from other barbecue places. I would hope that customers could request them unfried even if it's not listed on the menu; might be worth a phone call to ask.

People deep-fry the strangest things... :?

Brad

PreviousNext

Return to Best BBQ Joint