Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Question about Chargriller

Question about Chargriller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:41 am
whodat1 rare
rare

Hi, I'm fairly new to this board though I've been Q'ing for quite a while. I bought a Chargriller with the offset firebox about 5-6 years ago. After I got my Dave Klose rig, I removed the firebox from the Chargriller and used it for grilling with charcoal (the Klose is excellent for smoking but not that great for grilling).

I've seen a number of Chargriller post here lately, so I'm hoping someone can answer my question: Can individual parts be bought for a Chagriller?

During my spring overhaul/rebuild of my smokers/grills (yes I have more than the two mwntioned above), The adjustable charcaol tray gave up the ghost. I bought a generic replacement, but this isn't doing the job. I really like that feature of the Chargriller and would like to replace it with one made for it.

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:55 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

whodat,
I had my CharGriller for a year know and I love the charcoal tray feature as well. The best way to preserve it for a long time is by keeping it well oiled and free of ashes. I usually empty all the ashes as soon as it’s cooled and brush the front and back with vegetable oil. This keeps it from rusting out. Ashes are acidic and absorb a lot of moisture. Acid and moister will eat through the metal very quickly and no matter how good the product is, it will eventually give out.
You can buy a replacement directly through the manufacture it cost $24.00.
Here is the link:
http://www.chargriller.com/accessories.html
I also found that wrapping the tray with foil will help in cleaning and preserving the tray.
I hope this help.

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:39 pm

Thank You very much. Indeed it does help. I had oiled & cleaned it regularly, but as you said; moisture will eat through it. Being outdoors in the Houston area (95% humidity spring thru fall) I was glad to get 5-6 years from it. I did have to sand and repaint the grill itself once already.

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:41 pm

That was me, forgot to login. :D

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:43 pm
whodat1 rare
rare

Seem to have trouble getting the login to take

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:30 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

whodat1, you've peaked my interest. What Klose rig do you have? And have you any pics you can post?? Oh, pleeeeeease! :wink:

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:52 am
whodat1 rare
rare

I have a standard rig - 42" with two doors. While I did put a picture up on one of my web pages for purposes of linking to a forum, I have had no luck getting it to display here. I tried to post a picture of my Chargrill & Klose with my original post.

What I get is just the Image
:?:

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:57 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Is this it?

It's perdy!

The link is actually: http://home.earthlink.net/~jchill42/sit ... bbq003.jpg
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:58 am

At the risk of sounding like a Cliff Claven reincarnation, the science geek in me is compelled to mention that charcoal ashes are not acidic. The ash is really alkaline, as the ph is above 7.0.

With that said, functionally there's no difference. Charcoal ash will still readily absorb moisture, and the result is a highly alkaline substance which will corrode iron. And since ash is so hydrophilic, even on humid days you're at risk. So minimize the contact the ashes have with your iron or steel surfaces, by having well-cured grills and disposing of the ashes promptly.

Goalie

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:00 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

That looks great Bob,
Did you get a CharGriller?
When were you planning on telling us?

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:04 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Acutally I was helping, whodat1, display the picture of his Klose rig his CharGriller was just a bonus! :wink:

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:14 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

oops... :oops:
I did not see the post above it. Sorry Bob.
Nice set up whodat1, you yard looks great as well.

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:25 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That is a beautiful setup!

Goailie don't worry about how you sound....we're all nerds around here. Thanks for the info.

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:56 am

Hey Whodat1....
I see by your location you're in Katy. I'm in Deer Park. I was showing my wife the photo of your setup of your Chargriller and your Klose. AWESOME! But she asked, "Where's this guy live that he can grill right straight out in the full sun?" I said, "Well it ain't Texas, that's for sure!" Then I looked and you're in Katy. How it the world do you manage grilling in direct sun? Geesh. I'm tough and grilling will help me endure a lot.... but direct sun? In Texas? On the Gulf? I'm more impressed by that almost than I am the grill set up. Did I mention that it was AWESOME?

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:59 am

that last post about the setup in the direct sun was from me,.... forgot to login. Or else the login didn't take. Anyway, it's still and awesome pic and set up.

Next

Return to General Discussion