Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint a good San Antonio spot for BBQ ??

a good San Antonio spot for BBQ ??

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:59 pm
rboy6 raw
raw

I'm taking a trip to San Antonio soon any suggestions for a good BBQ spot there??? Thanks!!

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:43 pm
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome to the board, rboy6! :D

I just got back from San Antonio and the place to go is County Line...right on the Riverwalk.

You won't regret it. It's very good...very smoky, and the portions are very generous!

A.

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:56 pm
TX Sandman well done
well done

Welcome aboard, rboy6!

Rob - TX Sandman

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:27 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I too will be in San Antonio soon. This will be my second trip to the city and I posted the same question before the last trip.
Here's the thread from then http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=569&highlight=san+antonio

I did get to County Line on that trip and I enjoyed their food. I expect I'll get back this time as well.

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:17 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board rboy6! :D

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:48 am
Zilla medium-rare
medium-rare

When Are you guys going to be in town? I can take you off the beaten path! SA is not known for it's Q but their are a few spots worth checking out if you have a guide. 8)

ETA: Some of the places mentioned in the above post like Bobs and several of the real joints on the south side are all gone.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:50 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Zilla I really appreciate the offer but unfortunately this isn't a pleasure trip, but a business trip which means that my time, even the off duty time, is pretty well spoken for. SA is one town that I would like to make it to when I'm on my own time though someday.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:48 am
Zilla medium-rare
medium-rare

:) Well enjoy what you can then. I'll look for ya next time! :wink:

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:00 am
DaHorns medium
medium

Zilla is such a nice guy........ :wink:

Hook 'Em

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:48 pm
Zilla medium-rare
medium-rare

I do my best! :wink:

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:32 pm
Darter medium
medium

Hey Zilla (and others), my wife and I are headed to San Antonio in mid-April for a week. We'll have plenty of time to explore, so if you can make some good recommendations we'd greatly appreciate it!

We'll probably venture over to Bandera and up to Austin as well, so anything in the area would work. We prefer no chains...just where the locals know there's good food.

By the way, if you have any places/towns you'd recommend for visiting, we'd love to hear about them. We'll have an SUV and a full week, so let us know. Right now I'm toying with the idea of staying a night or two at a dude ranch in Bandera.

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:29 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Darter - mid-April is a great time to explore east central Texas - going to be real pretty with everything starting to green up and all the wild flowers starting to bloom - and a great place to do a barbecue tour. Don't know to much about the barbecue in San Antonio or Austin - I've only eaten barbecue once in San Antonio - one of the local chain places that was recomended but was forgetable - I stay with the Mexican and Tex-Mex in the big cities - try a place called Taco Cabana for Tex-Mex fast food - but you have some great choices around and in between - Luling, Lockhart, Elgin, Taylor, etc. Heard that the Fushak's recently reopened in San Marcos. Mentioned a dude ranch in Bandera - keep going a little farther up toward Kerrville and Fredericksburg. You're going to think that you've gone to barbecue heaven! Whether you go for breakst sandwiches or a quick lunch - gotta stop at a Whattaburger - best fast food chain I've ever eaten at.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:35 pm
Darter medium
medium

Thanks Cactus1! It's starting to look like we're best off sticking to fine-dining/tex-mex in San Antonio and getting the good eats bbq elsewhere. We're definitely going to head up to Lockhart on our way to/from Austin.

The ranching looks like it's out of the picture. The wife will be in her forth month of pregnancy, so horseback riding is out. We'll have to do our tours of the countryside on foot or in the car.

A bit off topic: any suggestions for missions or other historic landmarks to see/tour?

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:20 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Lots of cool stuff and history to see in the area. The Missions - The Alamo is just one of, I think there are 5 or 6 total - I've been to 3 of them + The Alamo, that run along the San Antonio River south of San Antonio - they are very beautiful and worth going to see. Of course you're going to want to spend some time exploring the Riverwalk in San Antonio - you'll also want to go to the market area - you might think that you've gone to Mexico. If you and your wife like to shop, check out the Outlet Mall in San Marcos - I'm not a big outlet mall type of guy, but this one is definitely worth going to. Check out the capital building and the club area along 6th St. in Austin - this is where a lot of the great Austin area music originates from. The lakes area north and west of Austin and the Texas Hill Country are beautiful and worth exploring. There is way to much to see and do in a week. You'll want to go back before you even leave.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:51 am
DaHorns medium
medium

Darter,
If your looking at traveling between San Antonio and Austin I would suggest the Salt Lick in Driftwood. It is EXCELLENT, and they have just about anything you want in the way of meats, Sauage, brisket, ribs, turkey, chicken. All cooked on a spit in the middle of the restaurant! If you have any questions just ask!

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/directions.htm
http://www.saltlickbbq.com

Hook 'Em

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint