Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Brisket

Brisket

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:23 pm
Schlep

I thought he marinated the brisket for a couple of days? Can anyone post the whole process and what type of brisket you need to buy, trimmed or untrimmed? I have ordered the book also and am anxiously awaiting its arrival, but I have a cookout I need to get ready for. thanks

Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:16 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

I use an untrimmed brisket, rub it over night and then cook it at 225 until my thermometer reads 190. (About 12 hours in normal weather.) Baste with apple cider based baste every half hour. Wood for the first 6 hours, lump for the rest of the time.
Live Different

Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:43 am
tpw1963 raw
raw

I sometimes like to usa a wet rub overnight. Untrimmed brisket and hardwood lump charcoal for 6-8 hours

Wet Rub For Brisket

3 TBSP dark brown sugar, packed
2 TBSP paprika
1 TBSP cayenne pepper
1 TBSP table salt
1 TBSP onion powder
1 TBSP freshly ground black pepper
1 TBSP ground cumin
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
4 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1 TBSP Tabasco sauce
Combine all ingredients thoroughly to form a thick paste. The amount of liquid ingredients can be adjusted to achieve the desired consistency. Substitute 3-4 cloves of crushed fresh garlic for the granulated garlic if you like.

Keep it smoking
Tom

Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:07 pm
wfd146 rare
rare

Go to Texasbbqrub.com, they have great info on smoking briskets, and try their rub it's outstanding. I smoked my first brisket last Sunday on my Weber kettle, and it was awesome! The brisket I got was 4.5 lb, and from what I'm told anything under 8 lbs., is a brisket "flat", which is basically the same but smaller. It took about 6 hours, using regular charcoal, and mesquite chunks.

I used a different way of indirect cooking as explained in Steven's books, I banked the coals on 1 side, with a small water pan on top, and the meat on the other, with a drip pan. I was able to maintain a constant temp of 200-220 degrees.

Mike

Return to General Discussion