Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint SE Pennsylvania BBQ

SE Pennsylvania BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:32 am
GDSinPA raw
raw

Just wondering where any PA folks get their BBQ. Hess's in Lancaster area has very good stuff, but they only show up at fairs and events. I believe they have a take out place somewhere, but not near me in Reading.

Anywhere else to get BBQ? Seems like we have a shortage around here.

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:24 am
TX Sandman well done
well done

Welcome aboard, GDSinPA! Sorry, can't help you with good PA BBQ as I'm in Texas.

BTW, interesting blog you have there.

Rob - TX Sandman

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:34 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board GDSinPA! :D

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:14 am
GDSinPA raw
raw

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to learning from those of you with more experience.

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:25 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

It's not your everyday 'Que but Fogo de Chao opened up in Philly last week. I went for lunch today. If I die tonight, I'll die happy.

http://www.fogodechao.com/index.htm
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:32 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome to tyhe board fellow Pennsyltuckian!
Believe it or not I don't eat BBQ out that often, I generally prefer what I make at home better. When eating out I prefer to rder things that /i don't cook myself.
That said if you're looking bbq there are a few decent place is the York area. We have the chains like Damon's and Smokey Bones which are all decent food but not true bbq in my mind. We have Memphis Blues which is a local chain whose food is pretty good. There is a small local place up on Rt 74 towards Dover that I've driven by a million times but never stopped at, but have heard is pretty good too. The White Rose Bar and Grill in downtown York is pretty good and so is the Corner Stable.
Beyond that I trave a lot for work so when it comes to eating I choose not to travel far.
Of course I'd be remiss in not saying that the best bbq in the SE PA area is mine! I always post when I'll be at public events, swing by next time and say hi and try some.

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:37 pm
GDSinPA raw
raw

I might be in the York area in a few weeks and will check out those suggestions!
Damon's food is terrible in my experience. There are a few decent choices at Smokey Bones (we have one in Reading now), but it's not a place for good Q. Actually, I've found SB to the the fakest place pretending to be authentic. The last time (probably forever) that we were there we ordered a 6 inch "Skillet Cornbread" which came out in the least seasoned iron skillet I've ever seen. Close inspection revealed that it had muffin cup imprints on it! They must have big 6 inch muffin cup papers. We had a good laugh and the cornbread was terrible anyway - very sweet and fluffy - not really cornbread.

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:05 pm
Rob96 rare
rare

Conways BBQ in Allentown, PA has some good stuff. Wife says it is not quite as good as mine but does well for a restaraunt.

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:40 pm
halter91 medium
medium

There is one place around here called the Brideport Ribhouse. I rarely ever go there, but I should more often.

Fortunately for me, I still have some pork from NC.

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:32 pm

Welcome GDS! We should schedule a Pennsylvania BBQ gathering this summer for everyone from and around here.....!

I agree with GrandScale on the making your own is best idea but if you want to find decent Q in SE PA by going out, I have found that Sweet Lucy's in Philly is real good genuine food. It's a real haul from me (Chester County) as it's at Rt 73/Cottman Ave and I-95 but the ribs are worth the trip as well as the brisket.

It's real food, slow cooked on the spot and the people are nice.

Dave

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:49 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board DeltaHotel! :D

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:10 pm

Hi all,

I just wanted to add that I recently ate at the Mequito Grill in Doylestown, PA and their ribs were simply fantastic. They were huge spares with killer smoke flavor...also, their mico-brew selection was amazing.

Post Tue May 22, 2007 3:55 pm
punCH83 raw
raw

There is Tommy Gunns in Manayunk.

Post Tue May 22, 2007 4:43 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board punCH83! :D

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:56 pm

Hello everyone,
Just a little note on a new place in Honey Brook, PA (10-15 miles west of Downingtown on Rt 322) called "Something Grilled"
In spite of the strange name for a Q-Pit the food's pretty good. The ribs are about an 8+ on the 1-10 scale, moist and tender w/o being spongy, and the brisket was about the same. The BBQ pork tasted a little reheated but I am willing to give this place a few more tries as the people are very nice (even though they ain't Southern folk)

Only areas I'd change is offer regional sauces (SC,NCE,NCW,VA,etc), find a recipe for some Carolina Red Slaw, and PLEASE get some Hush Puppies!

Later, Dave

Return to Best BBQ Joint