Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chargriller Side Burner

Chargriller Side Burner

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:43 am
wscato medium-rare
medium-rare

I just got one of these for Christmas and it didn't come with any instructions. I'm not near the grill right now. Is this thing self explanatory on the install? Also, is there anything I should know about it and how hot does the burner get??

Post Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:02 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If it's anything like the rest of CG's stuff is should be a
no brainer to install.

The CG site doesn't specify the BTU but it's probably at least 10k.

Get the adapter hose to connect to your 20# tank and it'll run forever.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:30 pm
C. Piper well done
well done

wscato It is very easy to install. Just unbolt the side shelf and bolt the the Side Burner into the same holes. The outside burner braces attach to the legs. Some have reported a little problem with leveling the side burner front to back and side to side but a little force applied here and there and you should be able to get it close (tip: I placed a torpedo level on the side burner shelf while alining). It seems to be a "tweak" thing. If it doesn't seem to want to level out you may have to loosen up main body leg braces or frame to tweak it into a level position and then re-tighten them.

I don't know the BTU rating of the burner but I think it is way too low. It works great for sauces and beans and such but I wished it was more powerful. I live in an extremly windy part of the country and use it most frequently to ignite my charcoal chimney (sooo handy).

I get a little frustrated because on windy days the wind can and does blow the flame out. Of course it is much more exposed to the wind than burners setting down inside a grill. I wonder if one could replace or exchange the existing burner with a more powerful one?

But all in all I am happy with the fit and quality. And with the side burner lid in the down position I still have a large usable area as a storage or utility tray.
Clay
CharGriller Super Pro W/SFB

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:00 am
tex_toby well done
well done

I, as well received a side burner for Christmas. Although I had to order it myself, I got what I wanted! :) Mine didn't come supplied with instructions, but taking a look at it, seems like there is nothing to it to get it installed.

I did run into one small problem with the arm braces....where they connect to the burner shelf, the bolts supplied would not fit into the holes. There are two nuts welded onto the bakcside of the holes, and mine didnt seem to line up. Instead of going through the hassle of sending mine back to Char-Griller to get a replacement, I just went to Lowes and bought two more nuts and bolts that would fit. It just seemed like the easiest thing to do.

As far as the BTU, i'm not real concerned about it because I am just probably going to use my side burner for starting my chimney. If I want to cook some beans or heat some sauce, I don't mind doing that inside on the stove.

Hopefully within the next day or two I will finish installing it on my CG and try it out.

tex 8)

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:12 pm
wscato medium-rare
medium-rare

I got my Side burner and fire box installed today on the grill. The burner works great and I didn't have any trouble with the bolts that came with mine. I got it leveled real easy. Hardest part of the job was knocking out the insert for the fire box. I didn't even bother trying to knock the holes out. I just used a drill and drilled them out. Here's a list of upgrades done today:

Added Side Fire Box
Added Side Burner
Added Warming Plate to SFB
Added 2 Charcoal Baskets

I plan on using the side burner for sauces beans and cooking collards. I might mess around with it to see if it is hot enough to fry with a small cast iron pot.

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:22 pm
MaineiacSmoker well done
well done

I find I use the side burner more for starting charcoal in my chimney. Just one suggestion: Make sure it is clean before storing....it can be prone to rust due to dust absorbing moisture. Contrats on the new toy...you will love it.

Cheers,

Dave

CB 45K Gasser
Modified CG w/ SFB

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:39 am

I have a side burner on mine but I tend to use the fish cooker to light my chimney of lump. I tried the side burner but it seemed to take alot longer then my fish cooker.
3 Char-Griller Smokin Pros with SFBs
2 Of the CGs afterburner equipt

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:39 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wonder why?!

Side burner 8-10K BTU. Low pressure propane regulator.

Fish/Turkey burner 50-100K BTU. High pressure regulator.

Bic lighter vs. blow torch!

I've been using a spare turkey burner with a small green
propane tank and adapter for lighting chimneys.

I really haven't been keeping track of how many I have done but
it seems like a lot. Next time I change out tanks I'll start keeping track.

Usually only takes about 90 seconds of burn time to get a chimney started. That may be why it has lasted so long.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:06 pm
C. Piper well done
well done

Thanks YB. This is one of the major reasons I love this board. Folks are so knowledgeable. You can't help but learn something new almost every day. 8)
Clay
CharGriller Super Pro W/SFB

Return to General Discussion