Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chipotle

Chipotle

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:24 am
TX Sandman well done
well done

Well, you could always use the habanero powder for rodent repellent. :twisted:

I remember several years ago my dad grew some peppers that were horrifically hot (lack of watering during the summer). That same year I had problems at my house with squirrels in my attic. He dried the peppers and ground them up for me to spread around the eaves. That powder was so hot I had one very light and cautious sniff and had trouble breathing for a few minutes. Haven't had a problem with rodents since. 8)

Looks like a fun project, MrAngles. I bet that chipotle powder would make some amazing chili.

Rob - TX Sandman

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:41 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's pretty cool. I have not made my own before and I'm suprised that it took that long. Thanks for sharing. I even like the Habs, but I'm evil like that!

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:37 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'm sure you could add a little to your dry rubs, BBQ sauce, or chili without hurting too much. :D

Thanks for sharing those pictures.

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:46 am
grilltender john well done
well done

Angles, have you ever thought about making/buying some adobo sauce to put the peppers in? i will buy them already in a can like that and i make a certain recipe for hot wing sauce. the smokey chipotles make a wonderful raspberry wing sauce i have come to appreciate. just wondering. also, how long does the powder last you with a batch that size?
how you done did dat?

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:12 pm
T-Rex well done
well done

YIKES! Those habs look like hot coals. Bet they are just as hot. Hab paste is also good for teaching dogs where not to go and what not to chew on.

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:49 pm
T-Rex well done
well done

Rehydrate them in some soy sauce with lime juice or a little vinegar and you'll have what we call "torreados." These are the ones you see in restaurants that are swimming in a dark liquid. The japs have been actually grilled not really dehrdrated and they are hot.

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:48 pm
TheDuke rare
rare

I bet that chipotle powder would make some amazing chili.

I'll second that.

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:01 pm
cerumen medium-rare
medium-rare

how do you know when they're done?

Return to General Discussion