Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion New Char-Griller

New Char-Griller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:08 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

I just came back from Lowe's with my new Char-Griller. I can't wait to get it seasoned and give it a test run, or two, or three,....

I wanted to thank everyone for their posts concerning this smoker/grill, especially BBcue-Z and BigDaddy. It really helped me decide to buy one of these as opposed to building a new smoker. Now, not only do I have a smoker, but I also have 2 grills, too (I bought the optional side fire box. BBcue-Z, thanks for the seasoning steps and the aluminum foil tip.

Putting it together was a snap. If anyone is interested in this smoker, I would recommend going to Lowe's first. The Lowe's by me had 2 price tags on it: one for $120 and another for $90. I asked the guy there which is correct. He told the $120 was correct, but since it had a cheaper price tag on it, he would sell it to me for $90. He didn't have to ask twice on that!!

If anyone has any additional tips with their Char-Griller, I sure would appreciate it you posting it.

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:54 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Smokin’ed,
Congrats on your new grill. Wow, what a deal!
Please let me know if you have any questions or need any help with it. And don’t forget to post your experience once you start using it. Warning! It’s highly addictive. :)

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:17 pm

Smokin' Ed,
I am so jealous. I was hoping to get my "Father's Day" gift of a Char-griller this weekend, but nooooooo. Our daughter is going away to college this Fall and we've sort of spent a bi-jillion dollars on the first installment for her apartment stuff - none of which includes a smoker. So my needs/wants have taken a backseat for awhile, but that's OK. But I did go by Lowe's on Saturday to lust a bit and dream and to my shock and horror the floor model was gone and the one they had in the rack was gone too. I was afraid they had stopped selling the Char-Griller, but the sign was still up (at $119.99) so I'm hoping some other lucky guys ended up with their last two in-stock models. So I'll wait a week or so, rebuild the checking account and hopefully get my very own Char-Griller soon. Of course there's those 2nd, 3rd, and 4th installments on the apartment stuff for the daughter, but I'll work around those. Congratulations, Smokin' Ed, season her up, and cook some meat!

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:17 pm
vfxtrev medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey Smokin'ed... which Chargriller did you get... I was looking at the Super Pro -- I take it this grill is meant for both direct and indirect needs? How would you compare this grill to any of the Weber charcoal grills? I was going to get a Weber Performer, but I just found out they've been discontinued until Nov?!?!?! Not happy about that. Anyway, so now I'm looking at the Super Pro -- what do you think?

Trevor

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:42 pm

vfxtrev,
The Smoking Pro model is nothing but a Super Pro with attached side firebox. It’s better to buy them separately (the grill and the side firebox), because you get a little extra stuff with Super Pro for the same amount of money. That’s what most of us did.

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:44 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Anonymous wrote:
vfxtrev,
The Smoking Pro model is nothing but a Super Pro with attached side firebox. It’s better to buy them separately (the grill and the side firebox), because you get a little extra stuff with Super Pro for the same amount of money. That’s what most of us did.

That was me. Forgot to log in :oops:

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:58 pm
vfxtrev medium-rare
medium-rare

This might sound like a silly question... however... so if you get the super Pro, it's made so you can do regular (direct) charcoal grilling with it, right? And if you really wanted to do serious smoking, you'd buy the smoker box and then put yer fire there. If doing regular charcoal grilling in the main box, how is it for cleaning and maintenance? How about if you want to replenish coals? -- it looks like the Super Pro only comes with one single grate, rather than 2 - wouldn't 2 be easy to manage? Also, I notice you can set the grate at different levels - is that how your suppose to do it with this grill - or wouldn't it be better to keep with that hot-medium-cool zone thingy when you organize your coals in the grill?

Regards,

Trevor

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:41 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

When you cook in the main chamber, you will use a removable charcoal tray. This charcoal tray adjusts up and down thus bringing the coals closer or farther from the food. The main grill comes with four cooking grates that covers its entire surface. When you need to add coals, you will be using a special grate lifter (comes with the grill) and you will lift only one or two of the four pieces and add coals. The cleaning is a snap. All you have to do is take out the charcoal tray and clean it. The main chamber remains clear of any ashes or coals. When you read to smoke or indirect cook, you will be using the side firebox. That’s why this grill is so versatile, and you can use it as a grill or a smoker. And it does both functions equally well.
As far as cooking zones, they also still apply here. I usually build three zones starting with the hot zone near the vent and gradually decreasing the amount of charcoal towards the other end. Since the left side does not have a vent, it makes it a perfect spot for the cool zone. The up and down adjustment has nothing to do with the different zones. As the fire dies down, you can bring the grate closer to the food while still maintaining the three zones.
I hope I answered all your questions.
Note the charcoal tray sitting on the front rack:

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:01 am
vfxtrev medium-rare
medium-rare

Wow, BBcue-Z -- THANKS for the pic and answers. Wish they could be that informative on the Chargriller website. Now I take it you've posted somewhere here about the tin foil - but I have to ask - what's that all about? Also, after what you told me, I'm guessing you can do a lot more with a Chargriller than a Weber -- now if I just find where to buy one?? I'm up here in Canada, and I'm guessing they're not sold here, which means I might need to cross the border for one.

Hey, given the size of the grill - you could do indirect without the smoker box just by putting your coals to one side? Or is the smoker box reasonably priced enough, you might as well just buy it too --- yer probably nodding, "yes". :wink:

Thanks,

Trevor

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:24 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I use the foil for ease of cleaning and heat deflection. Check with the company and see if they would ship one your way. Their prices are higher than Lowe’s, but they include shipping.
You could definitely indirect cook in the main chamber by putting the coals on one side (as you mentined), but it’s better to use a side firebox for low and slow cooking. The side firebox costs $49.99 U.S. dollars.
Good Luck Trevor.

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:26 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow! It looks like I'll be shopping for one of these when it's time to shop for my next smoker. I'm wearing out quite a few steel drill bits trying to modify my Brinkman clone, so this baby sounds like what I'm looking for.

vfxtrev- I'm in Canada, too, and it's tough to find a Char-Griller in the stores. I found one in a specialty BBQ store here in Edmonton (Barbecues Galore), but it was about $300 CDN, and I think it was just a Smokin' Pro. (They also had a Bandera for $700 CDN and a Weber Summit Gold D for $2400 CDN, which both seem a bit overpriced.)

I know that Canadian Tire, Home Depot and a few other stores don't stock them, Still, Rona/Revy or Home Hardware might carry them, and Barbecues Galore and the Fire Shop definitely do. You may be able to special-order the Super Pro and optional firebox through any of them.

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:25 am
Rifter well done
well done

This is where I picked up my Chargriller, and side box: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&catalogId=4006970&langId=-1&PHOTOS=on&KEYWORDS=chargriller&kw_fmt=chargriller. When I bought mine though, they had free shipping. They must have sold a lot of them, this is the first time in over a month, I have seen them both listed as "in stock". The side box just finally got back in stock, on the 2nd. Can't wait for mine to get here! :-) If you hold out a bit, they may have another free shipping deal come up, or if you search hard, you may be able to find a special coupon online for it.
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:49 am
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

Rifter wrote:
This is where I picked up my Chargriller, and side box: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&catalogId=4006970&langId=-1&PHOTOS=on&KEYWORDS=chargriller&kw_fmt=chargriller. When I bought mine though, they had free shipping. They must have sold a lot of them, this is the first time in over a month, I have seen them both listed as "in stock". The side box just finally got back in stock, on the 2nd. Can't wait for mine to get here! :-) If you hold out a bit, they may have another free shipping deal come up, or if you search hard, you may be able to find a special coupon online for it.

I used Northern Tool's price to Price Match at a local Lowe's. I didn't want to have to wait a few weeks to start my bbq'ing so I went to Lowes with the pricing printed out and asked if they price matched. They did so I got mine that day and seasoned it that night. Not sure if Northern Tool charges tax but I had to pay tax but not having to wait made it worthwhile. :)

Hope you enjoy your new grill with the offset. I've never just used the smoker chamber before for just grilling but I'm sure you're waiting for the SMOKE!

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:18 pm

I thought I saw a post awhile back where someone said they found a 1/8" piece of metal that was already rounded to put on the bottom of their Char-Griller. Does anyone remember where it was that they found this? I thought they had a website included with their post. I'd like to find two - one for the firebox and one for the smoking box. I figured any extra metal at the bottom would help my new Char-Griller last even longer. :?

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:19 pm

Oops, that last was mine. I thought I was logged in. :oops:

Next

Return to General Discussion