Board index Barbecue Board FAQs and How-To's Member Recipes

Member Recipes

From board specific to BBQ specific and back again, all the information you'll need to enjoy your stay here or in your backyard.

Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:10 pm
csbrass medium
medium

I,m looking for a rub for brisket. I used Steves brisket rub from HTG and found the chilli powder a bit too much. Not seeking anything too exotic but something more than the basic rub from HTG. Thanks for any replies that I get. If anyone has a good non alcoholic marinade for pork ribs I would like to try that as well. Again thanks.

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:55 am
jazzspot well done
well done

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (27 oz) cans Bush's Baked Beans
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage (a maple fattie is good)
1 can apple pie filling, pieces somewhat chopped up
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore. Jack's Old South does something similar to this, but I understand that they use peach pie filling instead.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
ImageImage

Post Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:50 am
BBQ Bob well done
well done

Tennesse Wings.
This recipe is modified from Stevens Kentucky Wings which was shown on BBQ U. Not sure if recipe is in any of his books since mine are in storage.

Rub
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp lemon pepper
2 tbsp paprika

Marinade
10 tbsp salted butter
5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2/3 C Dijon mustard
1/3 C Hot sauce (I used Franks Red Hot)
2/3 C Fresh lemon juice
2/3 C Jack Daniels
3 tbsp Brown sugar
1tsp Black pepper

Wash wings and blot dry. Toss rub on wings to coat and marinate for one hour.

While wings dry rub marinate prepare wet marinade. Melt butter in sauce pan add garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Stir mustard, hot sauce, lemon juice, JD, brown sugar and pepper. Boil for three minutes. Cool to room temperature.

Pour half the marinade onto wings and toss to coat. Marinade for 4 hours.

Smoke wings indirect for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes move wings over coals and cook direct for 5 minutes or until wings are crisp.

Use other half of sauce for dipping
FURN. Short for furniture that I should have instead of this thing - wifie

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:51 am
brew city bbqer medium-rare
medium-rare

Big John's authentic Wisconsin beer brats

what you'll need:

1 10 pack of bratwurst ( i prefer klements over johnsonville )
1 whole onion
2 tablespoons black pepper
vegetable oil
1 aluminum pan
2-3 cans of beer - i use the cheap stuff that sits in the back of my fridge because nobody will drink it :lol:

set up grill for indirect cooking. while waiting for grill, chop onion and coat brats with vegetable oil.
when grill is ready, place brats directly over fire to brown. you aren't cooking full, just getting them a little bit brown on each side. remove from grill and place in pan with pepper, chopped onion and beer.
place back on grill and cover. let sit for at least 1 hour. covering pan with foil is optional, i usually don't. i've let them sit for longer than an hour..up to 2, depends on the grill and heat. when done remove and serve. enjoy.
Brinkmann Sportsmens' Smoke-n-Grill WSM
2 Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 Kettle Grills
CG Super Pro w/ SFB

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:40 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

CBG's Hot Sauce

Here's a pickled pepper recipe I adapted for my own use:

3 sterilized pint jars.
2 lb. peppers, chopped or diced

For the brine:
3 cups (625 ml) white vinegar
1/2 cup (250 ml) dry white wine
1 tbsp (15ml) pickling salt
1 tsp (15ml) granulated sugar
1 sprig fresh oregano (or 1 tbsp dried oregano)
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
6-8 peppercorns

Place the spices in a cheesecloth bag or spice strainer. In a large, non-reactive saucepan, mix the brine ingredients and spice bag and bring to a boil, then boil for 3 minutes. Remove the spice bag, then add the peppers, turn off the heat, and let them steep for 2 minutes. Pack peppers into jar and fill each jar with hot brine to within 1/2" of the rim. Wipe rims of jars if necessary, seal, and process jars in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Let the jars sit until the boiling subsides (3 to 5 minutes) and then carefully remove them without tilting, and let cool upright for 24 hours. Check seals.

Now - here's the tough part: let those jars sit untouched on your pantry shelf for at least 18 months (or significantly more :D), checking occasionally and discarding any jars with broken seals. (If you did it right, you won't have any bad seals). The peppers should turn quite soft over that time, but the vinegar and salt in the brine will keep them preserved.

All you need to do once the peppers are ready is to strain off and reserve the brine and puree the peppers in a blender, adding the brine until the hot sauce is the desired thickness. The puree will be quite thick at first, so thinning it even a little bit is a good idea.

I usually store the sauce in sterilized hot sauce bottles and keep it in the fridge, or I can the resulting hot sauce (again) in smaller (1/2 pint) sterilized jars for 15 minutes. Then I take a bottle to work and share it with the chili head a couple of cubes down. :twisted:

One of the fringe benefits is that you get a few cups of brine left over - it's basically a salted pepper vinegar, and it works great when you're making your own BBQ sauce. Although I don't have any oak barrels kicking around (more's the pity!), you could add about a 1/2 cup of sanitized oak chips split between the jars, I suppose.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:33 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

From SCMustardMan:

With the cold oil method, you put the cut potatoes in cold oil, then turn the heat to high. They start boiling in about 5 minutes. Then after another 15 minutes you give them a stir. Then they are done in another 5 minutes. Apparently it only works with Yukon golds do to the starch content. If you stir them before they crisp up a little, they will fall apart. They actually absorb less oil than the traditional frying method and the oil does not splatter nearly as much since it never gets that hot. It seems weird but they are the best fries that I have ever made at home.

Originally posted here:

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... hp?t=19627

Previous

Return to FAQs and How-To's