Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Hi First Post - First Beer Can Chicken, pic

Hi First Post - First Beer Can Chicken, pic

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
michiganbutcher medium-rare
medium-rare

Hello All - new guy here. Have to say I love these boards and am very grateful to Steve and the mods here for running a great site! Tried my first beer can chicken after reading about it, (using Steve's recipe) and it turned out great.

I'm sure it could improve, but my family won't mind me trying! Thanks again and these boards are invaluable for recipes, grilling resources and just downright friendly people!

BTW - did the chicken on my 22 1/2 Weber One Touch Gold, with some hickory chips for color and flavor.

Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:09 pm
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks like you did an excellent job, michiganbutcher!

Welcome to the board!

A.

Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:26 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board michiganbutcher! :D

Might fine looking bird. Perfect coloring! 8)

Post Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:04 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

Welcome, and mighty good looking bird there... I have 2 on myself right now and it has just started raining.....

Bill

Dawgbytez medium
medium

michiganbutcher wrote:
Hello All - new guy here. Have to say I love these boards and am very grateful to Steve and the mods here for running a great site! Tried my first beer can chicken after reading about it, (using Steve's recipe) and it turned out great.

Beautiful chicken michiganbutcher! Welcome to the boards. It's great to see a bird that pretty the first time out of the gate. Here are the first 2 BCC's I did on my chargriller
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... highlight=

Yours looks a lot better than mine and i have done it dozens of times :lol:

Keep up the great work 8)
CG User #281

Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:19 pm
medium-rare

BigDawg I like the color of yours better - did you do it in a smoker? I did mine on a Weber kettle grill.

I just tried Steves first recipe in his new Ribs book tonight - here is a pic of it -
They were delicious, and I did all three steps - rub, mop, then sauce. They had a beautiful smoke ring in them, which I was surprised because again I did them on my Weber. I mixed things up and used some apple wood chips this time instead of hickory - real nice flavor. Only thing I wasn't happy about - after two hours on the grill (indirect) they didn't shrink off the end of the bones much - but i knew they were done???

Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:18 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

MB, Welcome!!

As you have found, every cook has it's own variables.
Temps, wind, (impatience :oops: , Keep that lid closed!! :lol: )

Sometimes we wait for what ends up to be excessive shrinkage and the ribs are over done and either dry or too tender and mushy!

One of the biggest variables is fuel moisture content. (IMHO)
Lump is not as susceptible.
Briquettes will suck up humidity like nobody's business!

The ignition speed and heat output really seem to me affected.

I've started storing 2 bags of briquettes in our air conditioned basement,
replacing and rotating one as one gets used up.

Much more reliable performance!! :D

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:22 pm
medium-rare

That is a very good point Yardburner I hadn't thought of. I did use Kingsford, and I noticed it wasn't ready in the chimney as fast as usual - took longer to "ash over" to get ready.

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:10 pm
Dawgbytez medium
medium

michiganbutcher wrote:
BigDawg I like the color of yours better - did you do it in a smoker? I did mine on a Weber kettle grill.

I used my trusty CharGriller. I put coals on both sides of the main chamber using the minion method and used a pan of water with the BCC"s sitting in it in the middle.

Those ribs look amazing, great job there. I use apple wood with hickory on my ribs most of the time but I like the combination or hickory and cherry when I can find it.
Don't fret about that meat pulling away from the bone, like YardBurner said, sometimes we wait for that to happen and wind up with dry or mushy ribs. The best way I check for doneness is grabbing the end rib and giving it a slight pull, if they are ready to come off it will give freely but not completely fall off the bone.
CG User #281

Return to Testimonials