Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials He's made a sauce junkie out of me

He's made a sauce junkie out of me

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Mon May 15, 2006 9:59 am
BBQMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

one of my first books by ole steven was the sauce book. Since i got that I've been a total junkie for sauce making. I go down to the liqour store to scout for possible sauce ingredients more often than I go to buy drinkage lately. I am always compelled to buy peppers (usually red fresnos or serranos) when at the store or the farmer's markets. This week, I plan on experimenting with some new ingredients and sending out little cups of sauce with chicken fingers to all of my BBQ tasters (that is, my hungry friends).

And it's all this Steven guys fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Tue May 16, 2006 3:07 am
Mike in TX medium-rare
medium-rare

Orange marmalade and brandy are good in sauces. Give those a try some time.

Post Tue May 16, 2006 1:14 pm
BBQMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

The thing I've started working with lately has been woodchuck hard cider. Anyone else ever tried that?

Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:31 am
kny raw
raw

me personnally im a fan of using soy or some homey maybe some good old jim beam
KNY

Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:43 pm
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That was my first book by Steven. Love it!

A.

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:17 pm
bugahabuc medium
medium

I think I've perfected my rub.
Need to perfect my smoking, especially multiple racks.
THEN I'll be brave enough to start making my own sauce.
I'm a KC Masterpiece fan.
Tried Budweiser's Beechwood sauce just for something new yesterday.
I liked it. Anyone else try it before?

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:19 am
bleujean medium-rare
medium-rare

I bought some of the Bud Beechwood sauce after touring the brewery last spring. I smoked a couple racks of baby backs and put this sauce on one of them. That rack disappeared lightening fast! Everyone loved it. I thought it was great too!
weber genesis, silver
weber kettle
brinkman smoker

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:24 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This book was my 4th purchase of one of Steven's books. My BBQ library just didn't seem complete without it. And yes, I've used hard cider in some of my sauce recipes - it goes great with pork and chicken.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:04 pm
kevinv raw
raw

Does the book show you how to make sauces from scratch, or does it just say here or some sauces you can make?

I am looking at makeing my own sauces from scratch. I want to learn the a to z process of good sauces. Have some sauces in the bbq bible, but I do want more.

:D

Post Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:54 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome aboard!

Yes, "Sauces Rubs and Marinades" does include a section of sauce recipes. While I generally don't make my own sauces I find the book useful for the rubs and marinades.

Brad

Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:23 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

kevinv wrote:
Does the book show you how to make sauces from scratch, or does it just say here or some sauces you can make?

I am looking at makeing my own sauces from scratch. I want to learn the a to z process of good sauces. Have some sauces in the bbq bible, but I do want more.

:D

Welcome to the board, kevinv! :D

Yes, all of Steven's books show you how to make sauces from scratch. Some of these sauces are ketchup-based, but a lot of them are made using tomato sauce instead so they're really from scratch. I've made a few dozen sauces out of Steven's books and they're all excellent.

Incidentally, they all process well too if you're looking to make extra batches of them. I often make a double or triple batch of some of these sauces and then can them for later in the year, and they've all turned out great too.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:16 pm
BBQ Mzungu rare
rare

Hi folks. I make my own sauce because I'm located in Africa and there isn't any sauce for sale here. Sometimes you stumble on a jar or two on the shelf, but it isn't any brand you've ever heard of, it's probably made in Pakistan or Saudi Arabia, and it's expensive. Only Americans BBQ here so anything to do with it is super expensive. Besides, I can make sauce that is better than any out of a jar anyway.

BBQ Mzungu

Return to Testimonials