Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Hellfire Steaks

Hellfire Steaks

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:45 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I thought I'd give Steven's "Hellfire Steaks" recipe from his "How To Grill" book, pg 62 a try. I used Venison steaks instead of beef, and was concerned that the steaks would be too lean/dry. I followed the directions in the book and the steaks were excellent. The flavor was well balanced between the salt, black pepper, ground mustard, and tobasco sauce. Has anyone tried this one? Thanks Steven...I'm adding this one to my list of "keepers". :D

Pete

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:02 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

I haven't tried the venison, but I love it with the T Bones.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:47 am
LowRider rare
rare

I too like to keep a couple of "quick" recipes under my belt for those last minute BBQ ideas and/or drop in guests. Another great recipe is the "tuscan style" steaks in the how to grill book. Very fresh, fragrant and juicy steaks. In addition to my weber kettles I also own a weber "Q" and I highly recommend for the "quickness" to use and great grill marks due to the heavy duty cast iron grill.

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:13 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

FYI - It works great on elk steaks as well. I've substituted game in several of the recipies and it adds a whole new dimension to cooking up all that stuff in the freezer! In fact, deer season opens here in 2 weeks. My freezer is empty and I've made room for a pig and a deer. Can't wait to fill it up again!
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:28 pm
Townshend raw
raw

Hey there! Sorry to bump such an old thread but I found this board after trying to find some help on one of my favorite recipies, "Hellfire Steaks."

I have made this a few times, and my results have been great, but not pretty. My problem is that the dry rub + the tobasco sauce seems to really want to stick to the grill (gas) and comes off. I have tried sauce first, extra oil on the grate, one side with sauce & one without (the one without worked fine like any rub) etc etc etc....

This is the only one of the HTG recipies that I have tried so far that I can't get to "look like the picture" so to speak. It tastes darn good, I just wish I could get the presentation right.

Anyone have the secret?

Big thanks!

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:36 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Townshend welcome to the board! :D

I haven't tried these steaks yet but there are several on the board who have. Hang on for a few and I'm sure you'll get the answer.

Hope you'll stick around now that you found us, and have HTG to boot. :wink:

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:00 pm
hotchef well done
well done

When I have had sauces like that I have found that the hotter the grate and the hotter the fire, the better it will stay on. But I haven't tried this recipe yet. Anyways, thanks for joining!

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:42 am
willisamrhein medium
medium

I have been wanting to try those hellfire steaks for a long time now, but haven't because the wife cannot handle anything spicy. If I told you that a green bell pepper was a 1 and a jalapano was a 5, where in the middle would the heat of these steaks fall?

I love peppered type steaks, but she doesn't so I shy away from them unless at a restaraunt.

Thanks.

Is that BBQ I smell?

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:55 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a simple fix!

COOK TWO!! :D

Make one blahh.

And make yours Ahhh!

(When she smells the difference,
don't even let her have a taste)

You could also do the recipe as listed and
change the hot sauce tobasco green.

It's much milder and most of the heat cooks off.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:10 am

Willisamrhein - Made as shown in the book I give them a solid 3+, but since my crust isnt staying on Im not sure how accurate that is. My wife is not a fan of the extreme hot spice and she really enjoys these. What surprises us both is how you can really still taste the meat.

Hotchef - Ive tried heating the grill to superhot - Same results =( I do keep my hot sauces in the fridge - I wonder if that could be doing something?

I have used tobasco green as well, it does give a differnet milder taste. I switch red & green based on mood really =)

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:12 am
Townshend raw
raw

Whoops - Hit submit early while trying to log in =)

Anyway - Guest = Me - And a big thanks to everyone that has replied so far!

Return to Testimonials