Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials the beer can chix

the beer can chix

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:05 pm
brubros

Hello Steven and congrats. on the great recipes in all your books !,

I have cooked many, many recipes from your books: Carolina pulled pork along with the slaw is a real keeper, Oaxaca ribs, Memphis spares, Sweet Pork chops, Banana Ketchup (the best), PR Pig powder, Memphis rubs, lemon pepper, the incredible fish cure spice and much more.

Now that the Supreme Court has relaxed certain laws, I cooked a Beer Can chicken !...it turned out very good, with the breast a tad dry. I used a Bell&Evans chix.. I find them much less bloated\watery from processing and feed supplements, and usually can use less time on heat than a regular supermarket variety.

Question please: Since I live in a condo, I do the cooking and faux smoking (a metal box) on a gas grill (coals would be a bit too much worry on the patio) with direct and indirect heat. The bottom line is I want more smoke flavor in my efforts. Would an electric, round type smoker (with several levels), using wood chips give a good smoke flavor ? The heat would be regulated and I could add wood pieces in a controlled manner- the gas grill arrangement works fair but lacks good smoke flavor.

Still learning to keep it hot, clean and lubricated !

Bill
for the Bros

Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:17 pm
barry

I have a Birnkman smoker (about $25 at the big stores) and a Meca electric smoker. The heat is at the bottom, a pan of water above it, then the grates. The wet wood is thrown on the charcoal and for the elecrtic you need larger chunks to lean against the electric coils.
This is low temperature prolonged cooking and nothing beats it for flavor. You can probably make this with a garbage can.
The problem I have had with the electric is the temperature will often drop for no apparent reason. I keep an oven thermometer in my kettle and I don't want the temp below 180 degrees for safety reasons. I guess the sensor that turns it on and off isn't to reliable. It has been a problem with two different thermostat units.
The trouble with the charcoal is the amount of attention you have to give it, adding charcoal at regular intervals, and the difficulty keeping the temperature in the range you want it without big swings.
Both require adding the wood chips regularly.
So this process requires a lot of attention for the 6 to 8 hours you are cooking but if you have the time it is absolutely worth it.

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:51 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

In response to brubros' question about electric grills, due to the fact he lives in a condo. Many condos and apartment complexes prohibit gas or charcoal grills, and I have recently seen several people in various sites state that most places will allow electric grills. While I have not had much experience with electrics, I understand they do a decent job of smoking, with a smoker box and wood chips. Best of luck.

Post Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:05 pm
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have an electric smoker. It was inexpensive at walmart. I plan to get a better one eventually, but this one does the job(just takes a bit longer.)

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:41 pm
Spitfire raw
raw

three words:

big green egg

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:26 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Spitfire! :D

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:24 pm

preciate it. Hope to learn alot, meet folks and expand my bbq knowledge.

Return to Testimonials