Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion August's Online Block Party - The World's Best Hot Dog

August's Online Block Party - The World's Best Hot Dog

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The votes are in, and the last-minute winner is: The World's Best Hot Dog!

This is a bit different than the "Hot Dogs coast to coast" thread, and it was inspired by Steven's recent blog post (which has some great hot dog advice):
http://barbecuebible.com/2014/07/18/worlds-best-hot-dog/

So let's see what you've got for hot dogs this month - let the Online Block Party begin!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

BchrisL User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

Melody enjoys a chili dog from Ben's Chili Bowl on Opening Day of the Washington Nationals baseball season. There were lots of napkins needed to keep it civilized. I had one as well. I highly recommend them.

I did a little looking around to find out some info about hot dogs. I checked out some of the reading material from The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, located on K Street in a Washington DC. It has a lot of information about lots of sausages. The name apparently comes from the term "dachshund sausages" as they were called by German immigrants who sold them on street carts around the turn of the 20 th century.

So I cooked up a few tonight. These are Hebrew Nationals. These have just been put on "a screaming hot grill", as instructed. They are cooked already so I just blistered the casing, of what passes as a casing these days. They are delicate and need care to grill well. They need close attention.

I tried to get sear marks, but I laid them parallel to the grill so they wouldn't roll around, as instructed. They didn't get any, but they all got nicely crusty and really tasted good. It is a work in progress.
Gustatus Similis Pullus

Large Big Green Egg
Lodge Hibachi
Charbroil Gas Grill

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice start to the party, Chris! I've read some things online about Ben's Chili Bowl and it sounds like a place to visit when in DC (not that I'm going anytime soon).

The plate of Hebrew Nationals looks good, too! I agree that it can sometimes be tough to get grill marks going across the hot dogs, especially if the grill's not level. This seems to be mostly a problem with skinless dogs as they're usually very cylindrical while dogs with natural casing have enough of a curve to stop any rolling.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Them doggies look mighty fine to me too, Chris. Nothing like an hibachi-fired hotdog! :bbq:
How did you top or serve them? :cheers:
Got beer???

BchrisL User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

beercuer wrote:
How did you top or serve them?

I didn't plate them well, but a here is a picture anyway. This was a quick meal after work.

They were placed in regular supermarket buns, covered in chili and topped with fresh chopped onions and relish. I also included baked beans and iced tea along side.

I could have eaten several more.... They were really good.
Gustatus Similis Pullus

Large Big Green Egg
Lodge Hibachi
Charbroil Gas Grill

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Well "Carry Me Back to Old Virginny"-- Now we're talkin'! To me, chili dogs are among the most righteous, and with fresh onions are heavenly! I also appreciate your generous use of mustard. Nothing wrong with that plating, Chris. :D
Got beer???

BBQ Deputy

Chili dogs and baked beans? I hope you slept with the windows open and the fan running! :lol:

BchrisL User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Chili dogs and baked beans? I hope you slept with the windows open and the fan running! :lol:

The production of prodigious amounts of pungent intestinal gas is a source of pride and personal fulfillment in some circles. :twisted:
Gustatus Similis Pullus

Large Big Green Egg
Lodge Hibachi
Charbroil Gas Grill

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I realize these pics do not count, as I had already posted these quite some time ago. I re-share these potato salad dogs because they represent to me the best which I have been able to come up with to date. So the challenge to myself is to come up with something else that will also float my boat. I have a few ideas. I think of incorporating other things like mac & cheese or deviled ham or Sloppy Joe mix (Manwich) or corned beef hash.

Meanwhile, here are those potato salad dogs again. :D

Got beer???

BBQ Deputy

BC, it doesn't matter how many times you post it; that's one hellacious dog! :thumbup:

BBQ Deputy

When it comes to sausages Wisconsin is primarily known for bratwurst, but there are a lot of house brand and private label hot dogs available, too. I bought these hot dogs at the Piggly Wiggly in Cottage Grove (east of Madison).

When sweet corn's in season it's the perfect companion to hot dogs!

When I was growing up pasta salad was largely unknown so back then there would've been potato salad or coleslaw on this plate. Well, not on my plate because I don't like either but I do like pasta salad, so its emergence as a mainstream side was a great thing for me. :lol:

Man, there's a lot of yellow in there! :wink: These were some very good hot dogs, with a nice snap from the natural casing and the meat itself had good flavor without an excessive amount of salt (which I've run into before). The Cottage Grove Pig is a bit of a drive from my house but it's right there when we're returning from Milwaukee, so I'll definitely be buying these again.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Most kind..., Thank you, Brad!

Say, I REALLY like the coloring you got on those piggy puppies! They sure have the appearance of deliciousness, and with that mustard-- Oh-la-la! I'm a big fan of yellow corn too.

I wonder, do you have and like hot sausage links up there? I just picked up some along with some beef knockwurst. :cheers:
Got beer???

BBQ Deputy

Thanks!

The most common version of spicy sausage I see tends to be hopped-up bratwurst and occasionally an Italian sausage with some extra red pepper flakes added, but the Texas-style "hot link" is pretty scarce up here. They do make a nice treat but only for me as Mrs. Chicken won't have anything to do with them. :wink:

BBQ Deputy

Last weekend we were in Milwaukee to see the Brewers play the Dodgers so I thought I try my hand at creating a version of the famous Dodger Dog.

Step 1 was finding a 10" dog but I struck out; the best I could do was Nathan's "bigger than the bun" dogs, which are also all beef instead of the pork/beef blend original DDs use. Ironically, Nathan's is a New York brand and that's where the Dodgers were originally located (Brooklyn).

The trusty Go-Anywhere at work.

And the results.

If I'd used standard commercial buns the "bigger than the bun" claim would've been a bit more true. Regardless, these were pretty good hot dogs.

There's a "Peanuts" strip where Charlie Brown and Linus are eating hot dogs and Charlie Brown makes the comment that a hot dog just doesn't taste the same without a baseball game. Very true words!

timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

im going to have to try that potato saled dog looks good but a hotdog chared black between the thumb and forfinger is good to
TIMS BBQ

Next

Return to General Discussion