Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Pork chop calzones

Pork chop calzones

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:56 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Pork chop calzones were featured on a Primal Grill episode this season and after looking it up online I learned that the recipe can also be found on page 134 of "How To Grill".

I picked up some butterflied loin chops and brined them for about 4 hours in salt water.
Image Image

The Jones Farm smoked ham came from the packaged meat case and the Bel Gioso provolone and Scott Petersen pepperoni came from the deli counter.

Stuffed and ready to go. Because the chops had been brined I didn't season them with any additional salt but I did use fresh pepper.
Image Image

Nicely cooked, complete with the HCOGM.
Image Image

A cross-section showing the different layers, and one that's been deconstructed a little bit.
Image Image

The brining really helped keep the pork moist and the cheese, pepperoni, smoked ham, and herbs really kicked up the flavor. Originally I had wanted to use fattier chops but in hindsight that might've been a little overkill because the pepperoni rendered a fair amount of fat as it cooked.

Brad

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:05 pm
outagas well done
well done

Looks like a "Pork Chop Capone's" to me.
"El método del Su Excelencia, el Rey Minion"

Return to Testimonials