Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Brined Chicken Breasts from HTG

Brined Chicken Breasts from HTG

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:24 pm
Ericd medium-well
medium-well

Well, I just recently started brining chicken breasts (and pork chops). I think it's a very worthwhile step (if you have the time). Last night I grilled up 6 chicken breasts, following the easy procedure from HTG. I put a cajun rub on all of them and they came out great. I took three of the breasts and some chopped celery and gave them a quick dance in the food processor to make some cajun chicken salad. The other three breasts came out juicy, and I should know, I'm eating a leftover one right now as I type.

With that being said, I'm now a big fan of brining. If it would make an improvement, aesthetically, I would even consider brining my own face.

Brine stuff. It's good.
Ericd

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:46 pm
Trollby well done
well done

I started Brining a while back when I started deep frying turkeys. I tried the "Injector" like many do and was not happy with the results so I started brining. I have not looked back ever since.

I still inject some stuff, but to me nothing says flavorful and juicy like brined meat!

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:18 pm
Dorfineer rare
rare

Brining is great! If you have a chance I really like using buttermilk as a brine. It imparts a great tart/tang to the meat!

Also, using hard liquors is fun too (and not because of the sampling you do while mixing!). Just use cheaper liquors (not the bottom shelf stuff, but not top shelf either, that's a waste) like Cuervo, Jack, or Captain.

Apple cider also is a great brine. It works really good when you want to make a sweet sauce!

Pretty much go 2/3 salt to 1/3 sugar and you can't go wrong. Topping that off with booze or buttermilk.

Lastly, I really really like putting a rub or paste on top of birds that I've brined over night. Brining a bird with tequila, lime, and then putting a spicy paste made from grapeseed oil, ground hot peppers (jalapeno, chipotle, and a dash of habanero), cayenne, paprika, and black pepper. It turned out great! Very spicy, with a nice limey aftertaste.

Return to Testimonials