Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Brisket FAQ

Brisket FAQ

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:56 pm
3970010 rare
rare

I really dont come to this site much because it seems to be a grilling site and I dont do much of that. I do however like low-n-slow cooking and compete about twice a month. This is my first year to BBQ and compete.

I did find the Brisket FAQ section of this forum to be extremely informative and there were things in there that I had never considered or even knew about. The "plateau" thing I had no idea about and I have been struggling with that very issue. You have no idea how many competition briskets I have ruined running the heat up in an effort to get meat tempature to rise. I will however start back on competitions again in January (needed a break, I do two a month) and will let you know the results. Thanks Steve.

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:47 am
bajamike560 well done
well done

Steve,
What part of the states are you from? Do you drive far to compete?
The great north west here. We will be competing in our first cookoff this year in centrial Oregon, the KOBE beef cookoff. It will be totally "just for fun" as that is also the name my partner came up with for us.
What I have found with the brisket is to put it on 2 hrs sooner than expected for a grand finish.
I smoked over 100 pounds of brisket this last summer running 9-12 pound's each after trimming fat. 1 was BAD, 3 were OK most were good/really good and 1 was up to what I want to produce everytime but we all know that will never happen. The wife like's the pulled pork so I throw a sholder on while I have other goodie's on the grill. There is only the two of us, the neighbor's love the somertime weekend's when I am smoking.
This year I think I will hand out score card's with every plate... :lol:

Mike

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:04 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

Steve,

I am just getting into competing myself. What part of the country do you compete in? Just wondering if we have crossed paths and didn't know it.

Bill

Return to Testimonials