Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Oh My - Brisket a sucess

Oh My - Brisket a sucess

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:22 pm
couvy rare
rare

Third time is a charm. Did a little research on this site on how to on briskets and finally got one right. Sorry no pictures, didnt want evidence if I messed this one up. Wish I would have pictures to prove that Steven's books and this web site aref or real. Started off by purchasing a quality thermometer, the one that can be left in the meat and read the temperature outside the pit. Started off with pecan shells, a little mesquite, and hicory chips for the smoking. Started with a small 4 lb brisket well trimmed. At about 4 hours I was at about 145 degress. Used the beer and vinegar based mop from Steven's book, however, I used apple cider vinegar instead of white distilled. At 145 degress, I decided to wrap it in foil. I put a little of the mop in the foil pack and let it cook. At 198 degrees I pulled it out. Beautiful smoke ring, as tender as can be and fairly moist. It was a hit While watching the LSU vs Tennessee game. It took about 8.5 hours. Combine the brisket with a little coleslaw and stuffed Japalenos and I am still stuffed.

I used the basic bbq rub from Steven's book. Do any of yall have any suggestions for other rubs or marinades that yall ahve had success with?

Return to Testimonials