Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Salted butter

Salted butter

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun May 09, 2004 6:35 pm
Loene rare
rare

I have seen receipes for this. Is this something that u buy or is it something that you make?
Thats just my 2 cents worth, dont worry about it, I have a big full jar of pennies

Post Sun May 09, 2004 9:20 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

You can buy butter salted or unsalted. The fun part is customizing butter. A great start is to raost a head of garlic on the grill with your fave wood for about 45 minutes. Extract the now succulently smoky meat from the cloves into a bowl. Mash 1 stick of room temperature butter (not margarine, real stuff) in with the smoked garlic. From there you can experiment and add your favorite spices but this is a good base. I would also reccomend you start with unsalted butter and add kosher salt to taste so you control the flavor entirely. spread it on homemade bread and grill for some awesome grilled garlic bread, dollop on steak, brush on vegies, whatever. Its magic stuff :D

And if I had my way, I'd give a coconut to everyone. ;)

Post Sun May 09, 2004 10:26 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

I made roasted garlic butter today. It's some good stuff. The garlic comes of the grill really soft & really hot. You'll have to let it cool down a bit, or it will burn your fingers. I used the recipe in how to grill. I then spread it between two hamburger patties. It gave the burgers some really good flavor. Try it, you'll like it.

Post Mon May 10, 2004 7:30 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The nerd in me needs to clarify a bit here.
What Airfoils is describing is a compound butter. And they are truely fantastic. They really kick up beef and vegetableas and fish. They are limited only by your imagination as to the combinations of spices. Mustard, Parsley, Oregano, cilantro, tarragon, and dill have all been used in my home with great successes. Look to Steve's books (particularly "Sauces Rubs and Marinades" for some official ideas.

As to salted vs unsalted butter. This is the way your butter is purchased from the store. Most of us typically buy the salted variety. There are more options, however each manufacturer usually sells an unsalted option as well. Unsalted is most commonly used in baking.

Hope this helps

Post Mon May 10, 2004 9:50 am
Loene rare
rare

Thanks i was starting to wonder if garlic was in the salted butter or not. Although that does sound very good to me. Just picked up a veg tray for the grill and just cant wait to start smoking them.
Thats just my 2 cents worth, dont worry about it, I have a big full jar of pennies

Post Mon May 10, 2004 9:59 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Loene I've seen garlic butters in the store, but we make our own compound butters. It's always better butter if you roast the fresh whole garlic cloves yourself!

Post Mon May 10, 2004 10:42 am
BigDaddy medium
medium

Hey Airfoils,

I’ve never done garlic on the grill before, I’ve always done it indoors… but after reading your post I think I’m going to try it on the grill next time… Question to you… after you cut the top off the garlic, do you grill it cut part down on the grill or up?

Thanks,
JC

Post Mon May 10, 2004 11:21 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I make a sort of foil bowl with enough extra to cover the top. Make it as large as you need to hold however many heads you want to roast. Cut off the tops and place in foil bowl cutside up. I add a couple of Tbs. good olive oil, a little S & P cover tightly but not tottaly sealed and grill indirectly 'til just soft to the touch.. Then uncover and leave until tops are golden brown.

Drain and strain the oil. (Liquid gold!!) Let cool and use as you wish.

For me, heaven is a hunk of grilled sourdough smeared with carmelized garlic and a little parmesan cheese.

Also have mixed mashed up roasted garlic into sour cream to top smoked baked 'taters.

Do a lot at a time. You'll make up ways to use it. Individual cloves keep well covered in olive oil in fridge.

YB

Return to General Discussion