Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion South Dallas BBQ

South Dallas BBQ

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 08, 2004 5:09 pm
Silver Triker

Growing up in Texas I was first introduced to BBQ at Red Bryans in Dallas. Since then I have sampled BBQ over much of the world including some at a place called Texas BBQ in Hong Kong. I now live in Virginia where I have learned to put coleslaw on my pig bbq sandwich! Go figure.
While I can still get my fill of smoked ribs and brisket I fondly remember some BBQ that I cannot find anymore.
When I was a youngster in Texas we often drove into southside Dallas to buy BBQ from one of several corner grocery stores. It was usually big chunks of beef in a large electric cooker covered in a thin brown, greasy sauce. The marvelous aroma could be smelled before opening the store door. Does anyone else out there recall this delicious BBQ? Many small Mom & Pop places had some version of this great stuff.
If anyone has a recipe for this type of BBQ please let me know.

Post Sat May 08, 2004 8:10 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Silver,
Check out this BBQ book about Taxes. It has many tails and recipes from the back roads of Taxes (same stuff you mentioned). It’s also an excellent read. I enjoyed reading about the history of Taxes BBQ and the origin of each style. I’m sure it has what you’re looking for.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

Post Mon May 10, 2004 8:21 am
Silver Triker

:) Thanks for the reply. The book sounds like a good source for many BBQ topics.
If no one offers a personal recipe I'll try your sugestion.

Post Mon May 10, 2004 9:42 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Z, when you type Taxes, do you mean Texas?

Post Mon May 10, 2004 6:08 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Sorry Bob,
Yes I meant Texas. I guess I still had the income tax on my mind :?

Post Tue May 11, 2004 8:55 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

:lol:

Return to General Discussion