Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion How much to cook?

How much to cook?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu May 06, 2004 11:57 pm
hotchef well done
well done

I have a portion question as well. While mine's not nearly as big as BigDaddy, it's the first time I've cooked for more than 4 people (probably going to be 16-18 at the gathering). And I'm cooking for my in-laws for the first time to boot.

I am making shish kabobs for Mother's Day. Requests for things on the kabobs are as follows: mushrooms, green and red bell peppers, pineapple, onions, steak, chicken, shrimp, and pork. I've got the amount of vegetables worked out (I think) but I'm kinda at a loss for the meat. I was thinking maybe 2 pounds a piece for each meat. That will be 8 pounds for 16 people. Whaddya think?

Post Fri May 07, 2004 9:58 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Prepare all of the veggies and meats that require cutting ahead of time. Toss the meats lightly in oil to seal the surfaces.

Place all of the ingredients into divided dishes and let each person create their own kabob,

Have different sauces on hand for seasoning to pref. but brush on while cooking do not soak ahead of time. Italian dressing, Oriental, plain salt and pepper etc.

Works for the "no carb" bunch as well.

Sometimes portions are a mystery. Have what you think is more than enough on hand and only put small amounts out for making the kabobs. Keep the rest in the fridge or cooler. Put out more as needed. Leftovers make a killer stir fry the next day! Or freeze what can be for a later date. (don't refreeze shrimp that has been thawed unless you like shrimp flavored mush)

YB

Post Sat May 08, 2004 9:56 am
Loene rare
rare

My mom has asked me to come up from the south to Ohio do her wedding this july. A little over a year ago I cooked for about 20 people for our daughter baptism. On that group, I did about 7 pounds of briskette, 4 racks of pork ribs, and about 10 boneless pork chops. There were just a little left over. The wedding I get to do there is going to be about 90 to 100 people. With that we are getting about 35 lbs of Ribs, 40 lbs of briskette & 50-60 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast. That comes out to just a little over a pound per person. Had to figure in the weight of the bones in the ribs and the fat content of the briskette. Also I figure out about 1/2 cup of sauce per person but not going to have it all out at once. More than likely only put out about 1/4 of it at a time and when it starts getting low, add more sauce so the unused part can be saved and take back home. Also if you are doing a rub, keep in mind how much you will need. I know that a rub of about 3 cups I am able to cover 2 racks of ribs and 5-7 lbs of briskette. I know that there is going to be rolls and coleslaw, I think even bake beans. All my mother has me in charge of is just the meat and the sauce. Good Luck with your cookout. I know that I was nervous with just 20 people, now i get to do it for alot more.

Previous

Return to General Discussion