Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Excited to Grill with Charcoal

Excited to Grill with Charcoal

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed May 19, 2004 8:26 am

Sorry, forgot to login. That previous post was from me. Just wanted to add that there's a link at the top of the Kamado forum page about smoking cheese for an archive. The archive has the original discussion.

Scott

Post Wed May 19, 2004 9:04 am
shawn

Thanks for all the help, I have one last question, what is the most effective method to monitor the temp of the grill for indirect cooking, etc, Is there a way to install a thermometer that will give me an accurate picture of the temp of my kettle grill? Is it a matter of simply getting to know the temp?

It's easy in the case of direct grilling but I'm concerned about indirect cooking of ribs, whole chickens, etc.

Thanks,

Shawn

Post Wed May 19, 2004 9:26 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Scott thanks for the link on smoked cheese. I tried smoking cheese last year and we had some discussion as well. That thread will add to the reseach I have already done.

Shawn, a remote probe thermometer would do the trick. You can use it to monitor the air temps inside your grill (near the food). Or a dual probe thermometer could be used to monitor the air and food temps at the same time. You can purchase an oven thermometer that sits inside on the grate. They require cleaning though, because grills are smokier than ovens. You also have to open the lid to check the temp which causes you to lose heat.

Hope this helps!

Post Wed May 19, 2004 9:28 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A while back we discussed placing a smoker-bbq therm. at 90 degrees to the handle and just above the rim of the lid. This puts it somewhat near grate height. This will work for one sided indirect cooking. Fire left, therm. right. For two sided indirect, fire left and right, position the therm. centered over the no fire zone.

Others have a preference for suspending a therm. in the vent holes.

Polder has a dual probe unit for measuring meat and grill temp.

There are MANY threads discussing this in great detail. Take some time and do a search.

Good Luck.

YB

Post Wed May 19, 2004 2:39 pm
spfranz well done
well done

A trick that I use with my bullet smoker is to position the oven thermometer in the middle of the top grid. This allows me to shine a flashlight in the top vent and see it without opening the smoker.

Maverick makes a remote thermometer that has two probes - one for the meat and one that is made to attach to the grill grate and monitor grill temp. You can find it at http://www.thegadgetsource.com/011502013733.html

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Fri May 21, 2004 2:27 am
Vinsect well done
well done

oops, my post ended up in the wrong thread?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri May 21, 2004 2:32 am
Vinsect well done
well done

If you can smoke cheese, that's low enough. I'll have to learn more about those Kamodos. I browsed that link for starters.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:28 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

I don't understand all this about lump charcoal being more expensive than briquettes. I wonder where you all buy your charcoal. I buy Mexican mesquite lump for $14.00 for a 40 lb. bag, while Kingsford around here averages about $6.00 for an 8 lb. bag. This means that 40 lbs of Kinsford briquettes would cost me, let's see, about $48.00, if my math is right. It's easy to see how much more expensive my mesquite lump is than briquettes. :lol: 8)

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:18 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

In our area (Washington/Baltimore) prices for 20# of lump run from $8.99 for a bag of Cowboy to $10.99 for a bag of Humphreys.

You mentioned your mesquite lump was made in Mexico. I wonder if that has anything to do with the price. I also wonder if it is made with good, sound wood or trash wood.

Both the above brands are made here.

Sam's sells 2 X 24# bags of Kingsford for right around $10. Home Depot recently had a special for the same qty. @ $7.99.

Since I usually keep 4 to 8 bags on hand I try and take advantage of specials whenever possible.

I'm always looking for a deal on lump!
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Previous

Return to General Discussion