Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Excited to Grill with Charcoal

Excited to Grill with Charcoal

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:16 pm
shawn

I have been grilling on a gas grill for the last three years (since the purchase of the current house) and while I like the convenience of the gas grill I missed the deeper flavor and versatility of a charcoal Grill. This weekend I attended a friends birthday party with my girlfriend and we had steaks cooked over a charcoal grill and that was the catalyst I needed to finally make the commitment to a charcoal grill.

Tonight I went a bought a Webber One Touch Gold kettle grill, visions of steaks over an open flame, smokey baby back ribs flavored with apple wood and beer-can chicken will dance in my head. I can't wait to break it in this weekend, I figure I can use the gas grill for the times I'm in a rush but can enjoy the pleasure and flavor of a charcoal grill when I have more leisure time.

Good grilling May is knocking on the door.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:14 am
Airfoils well done
well done

shawn wrote:
I have been grilling on a gas grill for the last three years (since the purchase of the current house) and while I like the convenience of the gas grill I missed the deeper flavor and versatility of a charcoal Grill. This weekend I attended a friends birthday party with my girlfriend and we had steaks cooked over a charcoal grill and that was the catalyst I needed to finally make the commitment to a charcoal grill.

Tonight I went a bought a Webber One Touch Gold kettle grill, visions of steaks over an open flame, smokey baby back ribs flavored with apple wood and beer-can chicken will dance in my head. I can't wait to break it in this weekend, I figure I can use the gas grill for the times I'm in a rush but can enjoy the pleasure and flavor of a charcoal grill when I have more leisure time.

Good grilling May is knocking on the door.

Congratulations! That my friend was an excellent purhcase that you'll not regret. You'll find that as you begin to master a real fire, the 'convenience' of your gasser is negligible at best since the benefits of cooking over a real fire and their effects it has on your food will eventually far outweigh any arguments gassers can make. But you're already finding that out ;)

Here are some accessories I would reccomend to start out with for your Gold:

*Chimney Starter and some parafin starter cubes
*Hinged cooking grate
*Foil drip pans
*Couple bags of lump charcoal
Weber Slide-Aside™ lid holder
Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie

*= must haves

Once you get a rotisserie, you might forget all about beer can chicken :D (though I admit the presentation value of beer can chicken is tough to beat). I still do beer can when I don't feel like stuffing and trussing the chicken/turkey. Weber has more accessories of course and most of them are quite useful but the ones I mentioned are the best to get started with.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:53 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Wow, May is knocking on our door and Christmas is in the air. I can hardly sleep :D Enjoy your new grill!!!

Post Sat May 01, 2004 11:01 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

Ahhhh, the man has seen the light. Sorry Grand Scale. :lol:

Post Mon May 03, 2004 9:31 pm
ryno23 medium-rare
medium-rare

I did the same thing I bought a new gas grill last year, and after watching BBQ Bootcamp I had to get a Weber so I bought the same Weber you did and love it. I've cooked steaks, chicken and my first pulled pork. I still use the gas grill during the week but when the weekend comes the gas gets kicked to the cirb and the Weber takes over[code][/code]
    [list=][/list]

Post Wed May 05, 2004 12:01 pm
    MReynolds well done
    well done

I feel as if I have to chime in here as well.

I've been a gasser for many years in combo with my electric H2O smoker, but last weekend I had to opportunity to grill at a friends house with charcoal. My host didn't feel as if he had the skills to BBQ a side of ribs as his usual fare is hotdogs and burgers. How excited I was to use his rig with some lump charcoal. The ribs were great and the flavor of the meat was wonderful. So great in fact, that the Mrs. now wants a charcoal grill in addition to the two gassers we already have.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not going to debate the merits of gas vs. wood, I like both. Simply stating that I enjoyed my experience and will be bringing home the old Weber kettle from my parents house. Any time I can enjoy meat prepared with fire, is a good time.
    ImageImage
    PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Wed May 05, 2004 12:05 pm
    Bob-BQN User avatar
    well done
    well done

Well, alright Mike! At the very least, you'll be honing some new skills while you enjoy some great grub. :D

Post Wed May 05, 2004 3:47 pm
    shawn

I purchased the One Touch Gold and it has a hinged grate.

I also now own the

Chimney Starter & starter cubes
    Kettle Lid holder
    Side Charcoal holders
    Tool accessory
    Warming grate and I'm thinking about a rotissere.

Thanks for the advice and ideas.

It's time to fire that sucker up and get to grilling and BBQ'ing

I will keep the gas-grill for the times I need extra capacity or when time is of the essence.

Post Wed May 05, 2004 3:49 pm
    shawn

Is there really a difference in Lump vs. briquettes?

The price of "lump" seems a fair bit higher is it really worth it?

What is everybodys choice for wood when cooking baby back ribs?

Thanks

Post Wed May 05, 2004 8:27 pm
    AndyC medium-rare
    medium-rare

shawn wrote:
    Is there really a difference in Lump vs. briquettes?

The price of "lump" seems a fair bit higher is it really worth it?

Thanks

When you use lump, you can toss extra chucks on your fire and you won't get that black smoke like you do with charcoal. I think lump also might reach higher temps. Also seems to start faster in a chimney but I have never timed it though.

In my backyard lump , charcoal , wood and gas all have there place, it just depends on the situation and what I am cooking.
    My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Wed May 05, 2004 9:47 pm
    ThrRoff well done
    well done

Shawn,

Lump charcoal will burn hotter and faster than brickets. They also light up a lot faster. I suppose the real taste difference is knowing you are not burning the glue in brickets.

As for smoking ribs, I use oak or apple. And, I start the fire in the smoker with a healthy chimney full of lump charcoal.

Post Thu May 06, 2004 9:28 am
    MReynolds well done
    well done

Bob-BQN wrote:
    Well, alright Mike! At the very least, you'll be honing some new skills while you enjoy some great grub. :D

Absolutely Bob. I used to grill with briquettes on a very small (15" x 15") throw-away grill when my wife and I were dating. Of course, this was a few years ago and at her apartment on the 2nd floor balcony!! Speaking of which, I just had grill duty at my in-laws this past Sunday as well, where I used briquettes.

Lesson learned? Well, there is definitely a difference in taste between briquettes and lump. Lump just imparts a better flavor into/onto the meat.
    ImageImage
    PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Thu May 06, 2004 9:44 am
    steede rare
    rare

Maybe my pallete isn't as discerning but I can't tell the difference between briquettes and lump in terms of taste. Gas versus charcoal well that's a different story.

Post Sat May 08, 2004 3:06 am
    TerpDave rare
    rare

Shawn,
    Congratulations on a great purchaser. One of the beauties of the chimney starter is that you can avoid the chemical taste of lighter fluid. So why then do you use parafin? The way I ge my chimney going is with 2 balls of newspaper. Ball up a whole sheet and put it where you would the parafin. Light it. Just as it is burning out, lift up the chimney and put the other ball in. It'll save you some $ too.
    -TerpDave
    "Hmmmm this IS a tasty Burger"

Post Sat May 08, 2004 9:03 am
    Airfoils well done
    well done

TerpDave wrote:
    So why then do you use parafin? -TerpDave

Parafin doesn't leave any residual taste at all, burns hotter and gets the fire started much faster than newspapaper. Also, it doesn't make the giant mess newspaper does and is pretty cheap actually.

Next

Return to General Discussion