Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rib Tips

Rib Tips

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:20 pm

I gas grilled slabs of ribs but would like to make some Rib Tips. Does anyone have any suggestions on Rib Tips. Temp, cooking time, indirect/direct etc. etc.

Thanks

Matt

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:23 pm
SmokeyJ rare
rare

Welcome Matt -

I'll just a say a few quick things since I am kinda new to this board too (although not to grilling ribs).

First and foremost - stop doing them on a gas grill. I'm an avid believer in charcoal / wood grilling. Gas grills are convenient but grilling something worth while (and Ribs are defiantly worthwhile) should always be done over simmering coals. I’m a rib fanatic and think they are the essential food of grilling and smoking.

If you aren’t ready to commit the whole – prepare the day before, get up at dawn, 6 hour, love of the process smoking thing that’s fine but at least get a charcoal grill - Weber kettles are is still the best in my opinion. If you insist on keeping with the gas grill be sure to include some smoke chips in the process, soak them in water, wine or cola for a while.

Good luck and happy grilling.

SmokyJ

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:20 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Uh Oh, Somebody started up the Gas vs Charcoal debate again. Them's fightin words!
Somebody call Grand Scale and Airfoils.
Matt, welcome to the group. There's always room here for gassers too. I haven't personally done Rib Tips so I'll be interested in watching what answers come up.
Come on guys, Matt didn't come here to be scolded for using gas. Who can answer his question?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:29 pm
SmokeyJ rare
rare

Vinsect wrote:
Matt didn't come here to be scolded for using gas. Who can answer his question?

In the event of the up coming war - I didn't mean to "scold" anyone, my apologies if it came out that way. I do believe there is a place for all grillers in gods large backyard we call earth (even you gassers) :wink:
I truely hope someone can provide Matt with assistance.

I'll put on my smokey war paint anyway... :twisted:

SmokeyJ

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:47 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

SmokeyJ, I hope I didn't scold you too hard either. We have a lot of fun with that debate here. You can pick on Grand Scale all day long. As long as he's had his scotch he can handle it.
I just didn't want to lose a new member over getting criticism instead of the answer to his question.
Well, I'm off to Steven's book signing. Hopefully BBcue-Z will be there too.
Everyone check to see when he'll be in your area.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:59 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Ok, rib tips over a grill, be it gas or charcoal or whatever. Though there are doubters here, I recommend simmering them for a while. I use beer, but other liquids would do, and then pop them on a hot grill to crisp them to how you like them. Smother them with your favorite sauce as they are about done. Simmering time is about 30 to 45 minutes, and grill time is a scant 12 minutes, maybe longer over gas. Enjoy.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:16 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

THAT DOES IT!!

GAS VS. CHARCOAL!

WE ALL HAVE GAS!

Some of us choose to cook with it.

Bye now.

YB

(By the way, as a point of information. Gas around charcoal... Not a good idea)

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:04 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Boy I'm glad you guys got that straightend out. I was getting ready to come out swinging. :wink:
I will conceed to the quote "Gas for the weekday, wood/charcoal for the weekend" that truely sums it up I feel.

Ok Vinsect pour me another wee dram now.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:45 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote:
Boy I'm glad you guys got that straightend out. I was getting ready to come out swinging. .

Don't you ever get tired of getting knocked out of the ring? :lol:

YardBurner wrote:
THAT DOES IT!!

GAS VS. CHARCOAL!

WE ALL HAVE GAS!

No, we don't all have gas, but I'm sure your pharmacist can help you with your problem.

Return to General Discussion