Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Adkins

Adkins

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:35 pm
sross rare
rare

My girlfriend recently started the Adkins diet. While I don't support depriving your body of anything, I will say that this is the best thing that could ever happen to a barbecue fan. I am grilling about five times a week! So, if anyone feels like they need a little more of that "I need to go out and check the grill, honey" time, I highly suggest the adkins diet. This can be for you, your spouse, your neighbor, your pet, whatever, just don't forget the carbs for everyone else.

-S
3-2-1!

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:47 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

And while this diet gains popularity, our meat prices go up. :(

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:52 pm
Big D well done
well done

Don't ya find it a little bit suspicious that a Dr's diet is eat all sorts of meats and cheese and eggs to get protein and no carbs so you can trick your body into loosing weight...

while I do support getting rid of the bun on my burger and replacing it with meat (because nuthing is better than meat stuffed between other types of meat..... now just to come up with some sort of beef version of Turducken... hmmmm 3 Chickens stuffed in a pig stuffed in a whole cow!)

anyways as I was saying, isnt it a little suspect considering Dr. Atkins died of obesity!

what the heck though, ya going to die anyways,,,, might aswell let the steak kill ya rather than cancer/drunk drivers/homicidal ex-spouses, etc.

mmmmm chicken + pig + cow = coigen co(w)-(p)ig-(chick)en

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:58 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I thought he died from brain trauma as the result of a fall.

YB

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm

The atkins diet actually makes sense to me. You do not just eat eggs, meat and cheese. You should read his books.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:28 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Suzanne Somers' Somersize diet is even better. She and Dr. Atkins were friends who had a lot of respect for each others' work. You get the same results on her diet but you can still have carbs if eaten in the right combination.
http://www.somersize.com/Somersize/Default_newbies.asp
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:47 am
spfranz well done
well done

Big D - I think you have been misinformed about both the good Dr. Atkins and his diet. The diet isn't "no carbs" which is a general misconception regarding this diet. Even in the first two weeks of induction (the most restrictive part) it's not "zero carbs". The whole plan is to slowly add carbs back until you find the amount of carbs you can consume daily without gaining weight.

Secondly, Dr. Atkins died from brain trauma due to a fall like YardBurner said.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:59 am
Big D well done
well done

My bad, I am thinkin of someone else........... Its very similar though.... I'll have to check my notes from school.... I did a case study on the fella and always get a kick out of the fact that he died from obesity (not a kick from the fact he died but the irony that so many medical journals praised his work as the guy actually continued to gain weight throughout his research and after it was complte)

I'll try n find the name and remember to post it.... It is similar but older research.. think he died in 95

Post Sat May 01, 2004 3:06 am
Leatherneck well done
well done

Okay, here goes; Carbs = Energy. The only reason people need to cut carbs is if theyr'e not active. For an active person, carbs are essential... just try to cut back on them at the supper meal.
Of course this means clean carbs, like rice, potatoes, oatmeal, grits, etc. Not Cokes and candy bars or other sugar loaded carb rich foods. IT'S THE SUGAR THAT KILLS! If you eat fairly clean you and stay busy, you won't gain fat. Remember there's a difference between gaining weight and gaining fat.
I've been on the "modified" body for life plan for a while now, and I love it. I eat a small meal of a protien and a carb (usually steak and potatoes) six times a day. And then at night I cut the carb and just go with the meat. With this plan you may gain weight but you lose body fat. And yes, I still eat BBQ and drink beer.
Regardless of the hype, carbs are good; ----- if used wisely.

Return to General Discussion