Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion brand new smokin' pro

brand new smokin' pro

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:43 pm
McSherry rare
rare

Greetings from a brand new poster in Seattle.

I've been smoking in my weber grill for about a year now. I've managed to turn out some good pork butt, brisket and beer can chicken. Just this week I received a Smokin' Pro with side fire box.

I have a couple questions I'm hoping the great minds on this board can help me with.

1. Should I continue to use charcoal with soaked wood chips/chunks or should I go to an all-wood fire in my firebox?
2. What tips should I be aware of now that I've 'graduated' to a real smoker?

Thanks, everyone. This is a great board and I'm looking forward to learning from the master grillers & smokers who impart their great knowledge so regularly...maybe even contributing an idea here or there!
"The bigger the headache, the bigger the pill."
-George Clinton

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:01 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

McSherry,

Welcome to the Board. As for tips for smoking, I would spend some quality time just browsing the posts on the board. There are lots of good tips.

I start the fire in the smoker with charcoal and then add wood. The type is up to you, but out there in the North West I would be looking for some nice alder.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:41 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Bill. I'm still working with four verticle smokers, so I'll just say howdy for now.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:07 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Welcome to the board Bill.

Like anything else with grilling and smoking it really comes down to a matter of personal preference and in some cases what you have the easiest access to. I use charcaol because it is simply easier for me to get and store right now.
However, you should search the forum for previous posts. Each type of fuel has it's own charectaristics, i.e. natural lump tends to burn hotter than charcoal briquets. I wold learn the characteristics of each and then experiment to see how each performs in your particular smoker as not all smokers are the same.
The rest is about heat control and patience.

RichD

Return to General Discussion