Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion wood for smoking a pig - possibly rotted? Also, barrell vs.

wood for smoking a pig - possibly rotted? Also, barrell vs.

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Mog raw
raw

I plan to try Steven's whole pig recipe on a 30-40 pounder. I have some apple tree wood that came down in a storm 2 years ago. Today I cut some of it up into chuncks and verly small logs. The wood seems soft and for all I know rotted. It is also a bit damp. I have the pieces hopefully drying out a bit in my shed.

Is this wood OK to cook with?

Also, I may not be able to get the covered barrell smoker from a friend to use. May have to rent one which does not have a cover. How much longer too cook? Should it be cooked direct;y?

Trying to do this on May 1 so please let me know if you can help.

Regards,

Mog

Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:34 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

As for the wood, when you bang 2 pieces together it should sound solid. It it feels soft and crumbly don't use it. Your profile doesn't say where you are. If you can't find fresher apple
Git yourself to Wal-mart or your big giant home store, pick up a couple of bags of hickory chunks and do the apple next time. Meat's too expensive to waste with bad wood.

The grill question will have to be handled by someone else.

YB

Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:37 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This post covered a while back

www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.p ... moldy+wood

Hope it helps.

YB

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:57 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Mog, welcome to the group.
It makes me tear up to see apple wood go to waste. But seeing a whole piggy go to waste would be worse. That moldy wood thread is a great place to start Rick has good advice. If you have to go out and buy a bag of wood, mesquite may be a good choice too.
If all of the wood isnt bad you may be able to cut away the mushy stuff. Put your good chunks in a chimney starter to get going and any of the funky stuff usually burns off.
Some of my oak has a little fungus around the edges. I don't use anything thats completely mushy. But when there's just a little fungus on the surface, it burns away in the chimney starter and I always get great flavor.
BTW, take your bark off too.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion