Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pork Shank

Pork Shank

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:05 pm
Zeke rare
rare

I'm down in New York City on business, and last night I ordered a Pork Shank at the restaurant we were eating at. I'd never seen this cut of meat before, and it was truly outstanding. The restaurant had braised the shank in white wine, and it was truly fall-off-the-bone tender.

I'm wondering - has anyone ever cooked a pork shank by smoking or indirect grilling? I suppose you'd get the shank when you cook a whole pig, but I'm interested in just the cut by iteself.

I'm going to have to ask my butcher if he can get pork shanks....I'm drooling just thinking about it.
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:27 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Zeke,
Pork shank is the same cut of meat used for Ham Hocks. Except ham hocks are cured and smoked. They’re widely used here in the South. They’re braised with vegetable most of the time (with collard greens). You are right they’re very tasty. If you want to make your own, cure them first in salt and brown sugar mixture, and then smoke them for few hours, then braise them. Of course, you can always buy ham hocks (if you don’t want to do the work yourself).

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:50 am

So, if I buy a cured ham hock (or cure one myself), would I braise it afterward? The shank I ate didn't really have the consistency of a ham...it was more like ribs where the meat falls off the bone.

thanks-zeke

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:00 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Zeke,
If you buy it cured, yes you still have to braise it. It’s called ham hocks, but it does not look like ham or taste like it. You may have had a fresh (uncured) version of the ham hock. But I know for fact that most restaurants use the cured version, and then they braise them. If you don’t care for the smoke flavor, you can always buy it fresh, brine it, and then braise it. If you ever watched chef Emeril’s show on the Food Net work, he always uses the cured/smoked ham shanks (Ham Hock) in his recipes.
Here is a link to one of his Ham Hock recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... 92,00.html
Let me know if you want a recipe for fresh (uncured) braised pork shank. Since you initially asked about smoking pork shank, I thought I’d give info about the Ham Hocks.

Return to General Discussion