Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion GINORMOUS TRI-TIP!!

GINORMOUS TRI-TIP!!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:02 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

In that this is my first experience with the rare and elusive East Coast tri-tip. Is an almos t eleven pound an anomoly? I'm treating it like a steamship. which it resembles. Used SR tri-tip rub but increased all to 2T instead of 2t. (didn't use it all anyway) added crushed coririander seed 'cause I can and am mopping with a mixture of canola and Goya Mojo Criollo marinade. Cooking in a NB offset using briquttes (Sorry!) and a mixture of red oak and hickory..

Is this a normal size?

YB

Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:55 pm
Zeke rare
rare

Oh man, I can't tell you how jealous I am that you got a Tri-Tip. Every time I travel to SF, I have to eat at least a few of them.

I don't know much about size or anything - all I know is that I want to eat at your house tonight.
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:21 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Yard,
That’s sounds really good. Let us know how it turned out. I usually marinate the Tri-Tip roast in Steve’s Three-Herb Chimichurri sauce (except I use Oregano in place of mint) and it comes out real good. I also top the meat with the same sauce before serving.

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:44 am
chagan well done
well done

I am most eager to hear how it came out YB. I have not tried this cut but have heard a lot about it. You have perked my interest on it again. Right now, however I have some Buffa-que wings to address. Ciao.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:26 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It came out real nice. Since it was so large the top part was dooked to just barely medium well and the lower half was a nice medium rare. All preferences were apeased.

Took about 6 hours @ 275 to 325 (measured at the grate.)

Having some shaved thin with some salsa lime juice and shredded pepper jack cheese as we speak.

YB

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:44 pm
Rick rare
rare

Yardburner,

Wow, that is a pretty good size tri-tip. I just cooked three of them today, and they averaged about 1 1/2 pounds each. I just used some Montreal steak seasoning, and threw them on the smoker with some hickory, for about 4 hours at 130 degrees, then grilled them to 140 degrees. They turned out tender and juicy.

Rick

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:05 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here is a good link with info on the Tri-Tip:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:15 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

After seeing the pictures shown on this site the hunk O meat I had in no way resembled what they are showing.

Sam's Club had it labeled as a tri-tip roast and having never seen one I took their word for it.

The cut in question is really good, so no loss there, I just wish there was a standardized vocabulary for cuts. Now I can't wait to get my hands on a real tri-tip!

Looks like it's off to the REAL butcher in the next town, (They are also a slaughter house, so I think THEY should know what they are doing)

Thanks for all the help guy's!

YB

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:08 am
Big D well done
well done

At 11 pounds of meet who cares what cut it is... Its 11 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mmmmmmm I didnt think that sort of stuff happened until you died and went to heaven...

Just bring me my pitch form cause 11 pounds is going to take me a good long sitting... and no I would not share it! for me, going to the butcher is like goin to the candy store with a little kid..... I always need multiple credits cards....

and yes I put up the same fuss as a 5 yr old if you try to take any away.... mmmmm meat

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:58 pm
hooohaa2 rare
rare

Thats a very informative site you linked, BBcue-Z. After reading it I think I might have to hunt down a tri-tip. (maybe I'm just hungry)

Post Sun May 30, 2004 3:59 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Wal Mart Super Center in Georgia is now carrying Tri-Tip roast for$2.68/lbs. They also had Skirt Steaks for $4.37/lbs. Amazing! We’re finally getting a variety of cuts on this side of the country.
I’ve never thought of Wal Mart as a place to buy good meat, but I was very impressed today with their meat section. The even had fresh beef briskets and Boston Butts.

Return to General Discussion